Organization: Cleveland Metroparks
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Job or Internship: Job
This program provides students first-hand experience with the animal keeper profession. Students will work alongside animal keepers and learn the husbandry and safety protocol necessary to be good animal keepers. In addition, students will get an introduction to other aspects of zoo animal management.
• Daily animal care (enclosure cleaning, animal diets, exhibit maintenance, animal training techniques, animal enrichment design and application, animal observation basics, daily documentation)
• Introduction to Curator of Animals responsibilities
• Introduction to zoo conservation and science
• Introduction to zoo animal veterinary care
• Introduction to zoo animal records
• Assignment of a research project to be completed before the end of the program
• Junior or senior level at an accredited college or university
• Enrollment in an animal sciences related degree program
• GPA of 2.5 or greater
• Ability to work flexible hours (includes weekends and holidays)
• Proof of a negative TB test within the last 6 months (required prior to start)
• Ability to work in hot or cold weather with dusty, wet and odorous conditions
• Ability to maneuver/lift 75 pounds
• Valid driver's license
• Must possess good people skills
• Must possess good communication skills (verbal and written)
• Prior paid or volunteer animal experience is preferred
A limited number of paid positions will be available but additional unpaid positions may also be offered.
HOW TO APPLY
If you have questions concerning the Animal Keeper Seasonal Program, please contact Tad K. Schoffner, Curator of Animals, by phone at 216-635-3332 or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
To apply for the Animal Keeper Seasonal Program, please submit the following documents to email@example.com or mail to the address below no later than January 1, 2014.
• A copy of applicant's resume
• A copy of applicant's unofficial transcripts
• One professional letter of recommendation
Animal Keeper Seasonal Program
Department of Human Resources
4101 Fulton Parkway
Cleveland, OH 44144