Organization: San Antonio Zoo
Location: San Antonio , TX, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The starting pay for this position is $10.80 per hour. To apply please go to: www.sazoo.org/jobs.
Nature of Work:
A Senior Zoo Keeper in the Bird Department is responsible for performing a variety of duties related to the maintenance and care of Zoo animals/birds. The Senior Zoo Keeper serves as lead keeper in a department, assumes a leadership role, and is frequently involved in training new employees assigned to the unit. The more unusual or difficult problems are referred to the supervisor.
• Establish and maintain positive, cooperative, and effective working relations with fellow employees.
• Constantly exhibit a guest service attitude, a smile, and an obvious interest in guest comfort and service.
• Communicate with the public in a courteous and tactful manner and assist guests with questions and directions to various areas of the Zoo. Address the guest - do not wait to be asked.
• Remove trash and debris from public areas; i.e. pick up litter whenever you see it.
• Assist supervisors in training new employees assigned to the department.
• Provide guidance to fellow employees in safety practices and improved techniques and procedures for handling or restraining animals/birds.
• Direct the work of fellow employees assigned to the unit for special projects.
• Assist supervisors in maintaining animal/bird records.
• Prepare daily reports as necessary.
• Continually observe and evaluate animal/bird behavior and conditions for animals/birds in the department and report any problems to the appropriate supervisor.
• Perform emergency repairs and make changes to animal/bird enclosures as required.
• Any and all other duties as assigned.
• Ability to work weekends, holidays and occasional after-hour assignments.
• Ability to multi-task in an efficient and organized fashion.
• Must meet minimum qualifications for Zoo Keeper position.
• Knowledge of bird husbandry, biology, artificial incubation and hand rearing.
• Associate degree in wildlife management, zoology, biology, or related field or three years of extensive zoo keeping experience.
• Minimum of three years of full-time zoo keeping experience.
• Basic knowledge of computers.
• Valid driver's license.