Organization: Smithsonian Institution
Location: Front Royal, VA, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Job Title: Deputy Director, Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute
Agency: Smithsonian Institution
Job Announcement Number: 14A-LG-298869A-DEU-NZP
Job Announcement Link: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/354745900
SALARY RANGE: $123,758.00 to $155,500.00 / Per Year
OPEN PERIOD: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 to Thursday, December 05, 2013
SERIES & GRADE: GS-0401-15
POSITION INFORMATION: Full-Time, Permanent - Federal
PROMOTION POTENTIAL: 15
DUTY LOCATIONS: 1 vacancy - Front Royal, VA
WHO MAY APPLY: This position is open to all U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals. Note: Federal employees with permanent status or individuals eligible for special appointing authorities should apply to Job Announcement #14A-LG-298869A-MPA-NZP.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online via the following website:
This position is located in the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute (SCBI) at the National Zoological Park (NZP). The employee is responsible for the general administration and oversight of SCBI research, financial, safety, and facility programs, as well as the operations of the Smithsonian-Mason School of Conservation (SMSC) at the SCBI facility in Front Royal, Virginia.
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
• Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
• May need to complete a Probationary Period
• Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
• Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
• Works with individuals to develop strategic approaches for increasing fundraising through grants, contracts and donations to support key research and program priorities.
• Works closely with Directors and Administrative Officers to identify funding requirements, fund essential scientific programs and staff, and streamline administrative procedures.
• Works with staff to review, develop and update the master plan, and associated capital development and maintenance projects.
• Works with staff to establish and monitor safety programs per SI Safety manual and OSHA requirements to ensure full compliance with safety guidelines and policies.
• Assist Director in managing operational and academic responsibilities to include supervision of Professional Training Team Leader, and overall guidance and responsibility for the performance of all staff.
All applicants must meet these Basic Requirements: (You must submit unofficial school transcripts)
Degree: biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position. OR Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. Special Instructions for Foreign Education: If your education was completed in a foreign college/university described above, it is your responsibility to provide transcripts and proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study. For instructions on where to fax these documents, see the "Required Documents" section of this announcement.
In addition to meeting Basic Requirements above, you qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-14 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position Specialized experience is defined as skills and activities associated with scientific research within the discipline of conservation biology, and with the administration and supervision of an established research and/or academic program involving multiple scientists, educators, and associated administrative and support staff.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your resume will be used to evaluate your experience, education, and/or training that address the competencies below:
1. Skill in scientific research and in the overall administration of a large, complex research organization and associated facilities and collections.
2. Skill in developing courses and curricula for undergraduate and graduate students and specialized training courses for post-graduates and professionals.
3. Skill in written communications to produce clear, lucid and diverse written products, such as memoranda, proposals, protocols, project plans, scientific and technical papers, publications and reports, professional journal articles, etc.
4. Skill in oral communication to communicate in both formal and operational settings, such as communicating effectively with the supervisor, co-workers, consulting with colleagues both within and outside the work setting, and formally presenting finding at professional conferences and meetings.
Applicants who meet or exceed minimum qualifications will be assigned to one of three category groups based on job-related criteria: Best Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and excels in most of the job related competencies above. Better Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and satisfies most of the job related competencies above. Good Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements, but does not satisfy most of the job related competencies above to a substantive degree. This category rating process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three", but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Category) provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied. Preference eligibles who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher. Applicants who have not submitted a resume in the USAjobs system and/or have not answered all of the vacancy questions will not be considered for this position. Important Note: The review of your resume will determine your final rating and should provide sufficient information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed.
Vacancy Questions Preview
* 1.Please choose the one response that best describes your experience as it pertains to requirements of the position.
1. I have at least one full-time year of specialized experience at or at least equivalent to next lower grade level in the Federal service which is in or directly related to the work of the position that provided the specific knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
2. I do not meet experience requirement as described.
* 2.Select the response that best describes your education and/or experience as it pertains to the mandatory basic requirement for this position. Be prepared to submit a transcript on request for proof of education
1. I have a degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
2. I have a combination of education and experience consisting of courses equivalent to a major, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
3. I do not meet any of the requirements as described above.
* 3.Do you have one year of full-time specialized experience at the GS-14 level related to the work of this position? This specialized experience is defined as skills and activities associated with scientific research within the discipline of conservation biology, and with the administration and supervision of an established research and/or academic program involving multiple scientists, educators, and associated administrative and support staff.
BRANCHED: * 1.Identify the specific employment/volunteer work in your resume in which you describe your experience to support your answer to the previous questions: i.e. agency/company name, position title, and dates. "Refer to Resume" will not be acceptable
Maximum length of 250 characters.
The Smithsonian offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, vacation and sick leave, holidays, health/life insurance, accident insurance, and excellent retirement program options. Please see Benefits at www.sihr.si.edu for a complete description.
Flexible Spending Accounts - http://www.fsafeds.com/fsafeds/index.aspHealth Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.aspLeave - http://www.opm.gov/oca/leave/index.aspLife Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/life/index.aspLong Term Care Insurance - http://www.ltcfeds.comRetirement Program - http://www.opm.gov/retire/index.asp
HOW TO APPLY:
Click on the "Apply Online" button on the upper right side of the page. Please Note:
• You must apply for this position online through the 'Apply Online' button and submit required supplemental documents (if they are relevant to you).
• You may submit required documents by uploading them online during the application process; OR You may manually fax required documents. Faxes are received by an automated system, not a physical fax machine. Documents that are faxed as part of the application process must be sent with the system generated cover sheet by the closing date. Documents faxed without the system generated coversheet are not retrievable and cannot be considered as part of the application package.
• The complete application package, including any required documents, is due in the Smithsonian Office of Human Resources on the closing date of the announcement by 11:59 PM Eastern Time.
Your application package should include the following documents:
• Detailed resume created in the USAJOBS Resume Builder.
• Proof of Veteran's Preference - DD214 (Member 4 Copy), if you are a veteran. Additionally, applicants claiming 10-point preference must complete Standard Form (SF) 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference, as well as additional documentation required by the SF-15, such as a VA letter.
• Unofficial school transcripts, you must submit unofficial transcripts in order to receive consideration. If selected for the position, you must provide an official transcript before appointment.
• Proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study, if applicable.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
Office of Human Resources
POB 37012, 600 Maryland Avenue, MRC 517
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
At the end of the application process you will be able to create and save a PDF file that contains your responses to the assessment questions. You may save this file as initial receipt of your application. After the job announcement closes, you will receive an email from the Smithsonian with confirmation of receipt. The Smithsonian receives many applications for each job. Each application is reviewed carefully which may take a few weeks. We will send you an e-mail to update you as we go through phases of the application review process. You may also check your application status by logging into www.usajobs.gov and selecting the tab "My USAJOBS;" e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or by contacting the Office of Human Resources Representative listed. Additional Information:
• Tips on applying for Smithsonian jobs are available at www.sihr.si.edu/jobs.cfm.
• The Smithsonian does not pay relocation expenses.
• The Smithsonian embraces diversity and equal employment opportunity (www.si.edu/oeema).
Control Number: 354745900