Organization: The Wilds
Location: Cumberland, Ohio, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
The Wilds is one of the largest and most innovative conservation centers in the world. Below is a summary of the position:
• The Eastern hellbender apprenticeship will focus on assisting the Wilds’ animal management and conservation science programs with the care of larval and juvenile hellbenders and research associated with their management in human care and in the wild.
• Schedule: Five days per week. 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM March 4th – August 29th, 2014 (flexible upon arrangement).
• Candidates must be responsible, flexible, self-motivated and able to work both independently as well as in a team.
• Typical tasks: daily care and management of hellbenders including cleaning, feeding, and water chemistry analysis. Assigned observational research and data entry. Assistance with field projects associated with the Eastern hellbender including eDNA sample collection and laboratory analysis and assistance with radio telemetry tracking reintroduced hellbenders.
• Skills training: research techniques; research methodology; water chemistry analysis; GPS/GIS applications; molecular ecology techniques; use of appropriate equipment including but not limited to PIT tags, radio telemetry equipment, water chemistry meters, rangefinders, calipers, etc.; and data recording, analysis, and presentation.
• The position is physically demanding at times, requiring outdoor work in a variety of temperatures and sometimes challenging conditions.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to lift at least 45 lbs.
Interns do not receive monetary compensation; however the position is ideal for those interested in a career in conservation, natural resource management, animal management, or ecological studies. Opportunities for school credit are available. On-site housing is available for $250/month.
To apply, send your resume with references and a cover letter to the contact below. Please outline your interest in the position, what you would hope to gain from it and how your past experience makes you an ideal candidate. All internships at the Wilds are competitive and we value placing individuals in programs that suit their career goals.
Please send application materials to:
Director of Conservation Science
14000 International Road
Cumberland, OH 43732
740-638-5030 ext. 2301