Organization: Audubon Zoo
Location: New Orleans, LA, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Position: Full-time Keeper II-III, Bird Department, Audubon Zoo
Audubon Zoo is seeking an experienced and knowledgeable avian care specialist to join the Bird department team. The ideal candidate will be part of a group of dedicated individuals working with a varied and vibrant bird collection in a conservation minded setting. Other qualities sought are innovative thinking, and the passion to work for an educational and exciting guest experience.
This is a full time position that will report directly to the Assistant Curator and the Curator of Birds.
Bird keeper II or III responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Daily husbandry of bird collection: cleaning and feeding of animals, cleaning of exhibits, holding areas and related grounds, general maintenance of exhibits
• Daily observations of animal health and behavior
• Maintaining accurate records for animals
• Assisting vet staff with administration of medications and treatments as needed.
• Development and presentation of educational programs as needed.
• Participates in the capture, restraint, and safe handling of animals as needed.
• Performs other duties and projects as assigned by curator or assistant curator.
• Current TB test
• Ability to obtain a valid Louisiana driver’s license
• Ability to lift up to 75 pounds
• Four year degree in biology or related field. Substantial paid experience working with an avian collection may be substituted for degree.
• Working knowledge of zoonotic diseases and their prevention.
• Willingness to work weekends, holidays, and overtime as needed.
• Ability to work outdoors in all conditions including hazardous weather.
• Working knowledge of avian management principles including incubation, hand-rearing, and capture and restraint of various species.
• Ability to take initiative to work alone, or in team situations with interns and volunteers.
Audubon Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a drug free work place with a competitive benefits package. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Please apply for this position on the Audubon website: www.auduboninstitute.org