Organization: Houston Zoo, Inc.
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
The Houston Zoo is offering students an opportunity to participate in an unpaid internship with our Aquarium Department! This is a unique and exciting opportunity for students to work alongside keepers, develop important professional relationships and gain valuable experience!
Successful candidates will participate in many aspects of husbandry including:
• diet preparation and feeding
• cleaning of animal exhibits and holding areas
• exhibit maintenance
• observing and recording animal condition, behaviors, and responses
• positive and educational interaction with zoo guests
• animal enrichment
• Interns are required to complete a minimum of 200 hour commitment.
• Attend Continuing Education courses provided by the Houston Zoo.
• Compose an educational presentation at the end of internship.
• Candidates must currently be enrolled in a college institution or a recent graduate (within 6 months of application).
• Coursework in biology or zoology related field is preferred.
• This position requires interns work in all weather conditions including heat, humidity, rain, cold and dust while indoors and outdoors.
• This position involves considerable physical exertion such as repetitive bending, pushing/pulling/carrying heavy loads, and regular lifting of heavy objects (up to 80 pounds).
• We are currently accepting applications until December 5, 2013. Internships will begin in January until mid May.
• To submit an application, please visit our website at www.houstonzoo.org/volunteering/. Applicant must also submit a resume, cover letter and letter of recommendation.
For further information and inquiries, please contact Nhi Tran at 713-533-6558 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.