Organization: Disney's Animal Kingdom
Location: Orlando, FL, Country
Job or Internship: Job
Research Fellow – Animal Behavior
Assist with behavioral research projects being conducted at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Report to the Research Manager and work as part of the team to design and implement studies on captive animal behavior covering a variety of topics. Assist with database management, statistical analysis, and publication writing.
The Science Team works with animal care staff to develop research projects, implement studies, analyze data, interpret results and disseminate information to relevant parties.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
-Collect and analyze behavioral data according to established methodologies
-Collect animal visibility data
-Assist in design of studies
-Works in close association with other members of the Science Team
-Participate in training data collectors
-Participate in Guest interactions a minimum of once a week
-Assist in the development of interactive, interpretive experiences in partnership with the scientific and education staff
-Communicate research results in staff seminars, scientific journals, conference presentations, and popular publications
-Participate in relevant conferences and meetings
Term: Contract appointment beginning January 2014 as an independent contractor with possible renewal for a second term. This position is a Research Fellowship through New College of Florida based at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Applicant must be able to work in the United States. Employer will not pay fees associated with relocation or visa/work permit applications.
* Ph.D. or Ph.D. candidate (defending by December 2013) in animal behavior or related field
* Excellent written and oral communication skills for both formal and informal audiences
* Prior experience conducting behavioral research in a zoological setting, preferably with birds and primates
* Strong experimental design and analytical skills, especially dealing with small sample sizes
* Experience using standard statistical software packages (e.g., SPSS)
* Very comfortable using iPad applications (e.g., Numbers) and managing complex datasets in Excel
* Ability to work with others in a fast paced, team oriented atmosphere
• Computer programming experience
• Video editing skills
• Previous teaching experience
• Previous experience in zoos/aquariums
Email cover letter, resume, writing sample and contact information for 3 references to:
Katherine Leighty, Ph.D.
Closing date: November 29th, 2013