Organization: The Wilds
Location: Cumberland, Ohio, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
The Wilds is one of the largest and most innovative conservation centers in the world. Apprenticeships are available through the Restoration Ecology Program for those interested in building practical career skills in natural resource management. Summary of the position:
• Apprentices gain hands-on experience, directly participate in land management projects and receive field training on a variety of applied ecological studies in wetland, forest and grassland habitats.
• Schedule: M-F, 9:00-5:00 Nov 15th – March 1st (extension based on availability of housing).
• Candidates must be self-motivated, responsible, flexible and able to work both independently as well as in a team. Interpersonal communication skills are highly valued.
• The position is physically demanding at times, requiring outdoor work throughout the seasons, including activities in cold temperatures or hot, buggy and rugged terrain.
• Typical tasks: vegetation monitoring, habitat management, invasive plant control, project administration, data analysis, report writing and research plot maintenance.
• Skills training: vegetation identification, research methodology, GPS / GIS applications, biological monitoring and application of practical field methods.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to lift at least 45 lbs.
Apprentices do not receive monetary compensation; however the position is ideal for those interested in gaining practical experience for a career in conservation, natural resource management, land stewardship or ecological studies. Opportunities for school credit are available. Participation fee for term is $250 / month, which includes housing.
To apply, send your resume with references and a cover letter to the contact below. Please outline your interest in the position, what you would hope to gain from it and how your past experience makes you an ideal candidate. All apprenticeships at the Wilds are competitive and we value placing individuals in programs that suit their career goals.
Restoration Ecology Program Director
14000 International Road
Cumberland, OH 43732
740-638-5030 ext. 2084