Organization: Turtle Back Zoo
Location: West Orange, New Jersey, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Position: General Curator
Essex County Turtle Back Zoo in West Orange, NJ is in search of talented, energetic and knowledgeable individual to fill the position of General Curator. Turtle Back Zoo is located in Essex County’s South Mountain Reservation and opened to the public in 1963. Since 2003, over $70 million in upgrades have been made to the Turtle Back Zoo.
- Oversee the health and welfare of the Zoo’s animal collection including acquisition, disposition, collection planning, husbandry, enrichment, nutrition and coordination of medical treatments with veterinary staff.
- Oversee animal department staff including hiring, training, work scheduling, performance evaluation, and disciplinary procedures. Create, foster, and maintain positive team oriented work environment.
- Train zoo staff on emergency protocols. Schedule safety drills, and maintain an inventory of emergency equipment.
- Coordinate interdepartmental projects or needs with maintenance, education, and veterinary departments.
- Assist with design of new and renovated exhibits and holding areas in accordance with USDA requirements and AZA husbandry guidelines.
- Direct the implementation of animal record keeping and inventory management systems.
- Oversee zoo wide pest control program. Coordinate with contract pest control company.
- Represent the zoo thru involvement with AZA and other zoological and conservation programs such as SSPs, TAGS, committees, accreditation inspections, wildlife agencies, etc.
- Oversee the development and organization of the zoo’s library.
- Bachelor’s degree in zoology or a closely related discipline.
- Five years of experience in the care of captive wildlife.
- Three years of supervisory experience, preferably in an AZA facility.
- Must have strong decision-making and problem-solving skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and effective time management skills.
- Must be available and able to work off hours and weekends when the need arises.
- Experience with industry standards of animal management, exhibitory design, or master planning.
- Must be able to work in adverse weather including heat, cold, rain, and wind.
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs. without difficulty.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
- Advanced degree in zoology or a closely related discipline .
- Experience in a curatorial capacity.
Essex County is an Equal opportunity employer.
Please e-mail cover letter and resume to:
Place “general curator” in the subject line.