Organization: Birmingham Zoo, Inc.
Location: Birmingaham, AL Alabama, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Birmingham Zoo is currently seeking a part-time zookeeper (29hr/ week) for the Programs Department.
Responsibilities include the daily inspection, feeding, cleaning, training, enrichment, medicating and maintenance of the animals in the Programs Department. The Programs collection includes mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates.
In addition to husbandry duties, Programs keepers will conduct interpretive programming, including participating and conducting on-grounds animal presentations, Zoo to You off-ground events, special marketing events, birthday parties, and summer wildlife shows. Keeper will be expected to interact and interpret with visitors in a positive manner. Strong public presentation skills while working with live animals is preferred.
Position is available immediately.
• Candidates must possess good communication, observational, and organization skills and the ability to work well with others in a team environment. Must possess good public speaking skills.
• Must be able to lift 50 pounds and perform duties in extreme weather.
• Biology-related degree and/or animal care experience is preferred; experience in theater or related public speaking field a plus.
• Prior animal training experience using operant and classical conditioning preferred.
• Preferred up to 1 year zookeeper experience.
Birmingham Zoo, Inc. is an EOE and a drug-free work place. Must be able to obtain a valid Alabama State Driver’s license within 30 days of hire. To apply, please download the Zoo’s employment application. Send completed application with a cover letter and resume to: Kelly Wall, Animal Programs Zoological Manager, Birmingham Zoo, Inc., 2630 Cahaba Road, Birmingham, AL 35223 or email it to email@example.com with “Programs Keeper Position” as the subject.
Deadline to turn in application: 30Nov2013