Organization: Miller Park Zoo
Location: Bloomington, IL, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
MILLER PARK ZOO
ANIMAL CARE INTERNSHIP
The Miller Park Zoo in Bloomington, Illinois is offering hands on experience for the future Zoo professionals to learn Zoo management from experienced Keepers. Several Full-Time internship opportunities are available to those interested in developing their careers and contributing to the success of the Miller Park Zoo. Miller Park Zoo is a smaller institution which prides itself on providing its interns with a wider range of opportunities.
• Will be able to experience a variety of protocols that include the overall maintenance of a variety of exhibits, record keeping, diet preparation, animal observations and animal transports.
• Must have the ability to work independently and be self-motivated.
• Must be able to climb ladders/stairs/fences, lift and carry crates/animals/ feed, operate mowers, operate weed eaters, load and operate wheel barrows loaded, be agile and flexible to maneuver in and around animals within exhibits and holding areas.
• May be asked to complete a season long project as assigned by Zoo Staff.
• Must have strong communication skills with speaking with the general public is required.
• Will be responsible for other duties as assigned by Zoo Staff.
• Prefer candidates that are pursuing a degree in a Biology related field.
• Must commit to a schedule including weekends and holidays.
• Must be prepared to work in inclement weather and in all weather conditions.
• Must be have a TB test screening done in the last 12 months. Will need proof of testing before first day of internship.
• This internship is unpaid and there is no housing provided.
If interested, we are now accepting application for the 2014 Spring school year (January-May).
Please send cover letter, resume and unofficial transcripts no later than 8 November 2013 to:
1020 S. Morris Ave.