Organization: Indianapolis Zoo
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Personal passion about advancing animal conservation, both locally and globally, is a primary job responsibility of every employee at the Indianapolis Zoo. It is the heart of who we are, and a core value of our employees. Nationally accredited as a zoo, a botanical garden, and an aquarium, the Indianapolis Zoo is a national leader in animal conservation, a top tourist destination in the Midwest, and is located in Indy’s vibrant downtown area.
The Director of Education leads a team of conservation educators that create and maintain powerful and engaging educational programs that serve to inform, empower and motivate guests of the Zoo and the community-at-large to take action on behalf of wildlife and wild places.
Strong leadership, vision, creative energy, people management skills, exceptional interpersonal communication and writing skills, and talent for creating multi-generational learning opportunities will be called upon daily to accomplish the Director’s responsibilities.
• The Director must be active in the community in promoting the Zoo’s conservation initiatives, and in developing strategic alliances with other internal and external partners. The Director will be skilled in grant writing and administration, and will participate in the solicitation of gifts in support of the Zoo’s conservation programs. The Director will be involved in the selection, training, supervision, and evaluation of all education staff.
As a well-seasoned manager who keeps up a fast, productive pace while welcoming new challenges and solving problems, the Director of Education must be able to simultaneously manage multiple projects, provide leadership to staff, maintain flexibility, and easily adapt to shifting priorities.
Specific responsibilities and requirements include, but are not limited to:
• A Bachelor’s degree in a Education or Science (or a related field) from an accredited college/university is required. A graduate degree in a related field is preferred.
• A minimum of seven (7) years of prior professional work experience in educationwith a focus on the design and implementation of educational programs, is required.
• A minimum of five (5) years experience managing and training employees.
• Demonstrated experience developing and implementing goals, action plans, detailed timelines, resource requirements, budgets, risk analysis, and evaluation are necessary.
• Familiarity with the development of written interpretive graphics, utilization of interactive technologies, first-person interpretation, and demonstrations is necessary.
• The ability to supervise the development of instructor training is required.
• The ability to supervise formal and informal evaluation of all programming and interpretive materials is required.
The Zoo offers a competitive benefit package (medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, 403b) after 90 days of employment. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Application deadline is November 15, 2013. Candidates must apply online for this position at http://www.indianapoliszoo.com/SitePages/AboutTheZoo/JobsAtTheZoo.aspx
In the “position desired” section of the on-line application, type in “Director of Education”.
Please attach your resume, and a cover letter including salary requirements.
Only on-line applications are considered for our employment opportunities. Mailed, faxed, and hand delivered applications are not accepted.
The Indianapolis Zoo is an EOE/ Drug Free Work Environment.