Organization: Miami Seaquarium
Location: Miami, FL, us
Job or Internship:
Miami Seaquarium is currently seeking a motivated, outgoing, and personable team player to fulfill the role of Senior Aquarist/ Sea Trek Diver. Individuals with a minimum of three years of professional experience with fish, invertebrate, and/or Elasmobranch displays at a public aquarium, natural museum and/or zoological facility are encouraged to apply. This is a full time position with benefits located in Miami, Florida.
Responsibilities for this position include:
* Teach and mentor coworkers on proper protocols and processes in various areas including all aquarium exhibits and Sea Trek
* Provide proper training for both naïve and experienced aquarists through daily critiques and fundamental seminars
* Maintaining healthy fish and invertebrate species and visually appealing displays in key areas including the park’s sixteen jewel exhibits, coral reef habitat, stingray touch pool, quarantine and holding facilities, and shark channel.
* Daily food preparation, animal husbandry, and disease prevention and treatment to include administration of medications
* Maintenance of aquarium filtration and exhibits to include all aspects of daily cleaning, “back of house” upkeep, and repairs where needed
* Assist in animal acquisitions, transports and collections when needed
* Perform systematic maintenance and show dives for the park’s signature coral reef display and be an active diver and guide for the park’s Sea Trek helmet diving experience
* Bachelor’s degree or higher in Biology, Marine Science, or related field and/or equivalent documented work experience at a reputable aquatic facility. Preference given to those with three or more years of aquarium related experience at an AZA accredited facility.
* Experience should include regular, documented diving of large scale aquarium habitats, demonstrated husbandry of large scale salt water aquatic systems (open and closed), and documented leadership reflecting training and mentoring of fellow staff members.
* Thorough understanding of saltwater fish and invertebrate health, disease ID, treatment, and related quarantine protocols and the ability to act on the best course of treatment.
* The ability to lead by example and uphold a positive and professional attitude under pressure and heavy workloads
* Clearly speak, write, and understand English
* Possess the ability to communicate effectively - both oral and written - and the desire to strive for an optimal work environment through teamwork and dedication
* Rescue Diver level or higher SCUBA certification with certificate and verifiable dives
* Previous working experience in medium and large scale aquarium filtration design, repair and installation; have the ability to troubleshoot and repair any problems related to displays or life support systems on exhibits with little or no supervision.
* Ability to work a variable schedule including weekends, holidays and evenings when called upon
* Possess the physical ability to lift and carry up to 75lbs unassisted for short distances
* Work in all climate conditions including rain and intense heat for extended periods
* Computer and administrative skills as related to daily work duties including working knowledge of Microsoft office products
All qualified applicants must submit their resume via mail, fax or email. In addition, please fill out an application that can be downloaded from www.MiamiSeaquarium.com and send with resume. All international applicants must possess all of the necessary paperwork to work full time in the U.S. prior to submitting their resume for consideration. Miami Seaquarium is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free workplace.
Jodi Tuzinski - Animal Care Manager, Miami Seaquarium, 4400 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, FL 33149, Fax: (305) 361-6077, firstname.lastname@example.org