Organization: Palm Beach Zoo
Location: West Palm Beach, FL, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Palm Beach Zoo seeks Director of Facilities & Design
Our Mission: “To inspire people to act on behalf of wildlife and the natural world.”
If you are a conservation minded design/build professional with proven success in the management of facilities, projects, and people, the nationally accredited Palm Beach Zoo could be a perfect fit for you as we roll out a much needed capital improvement program for this 23 acre campus now welcoming 320,000 guests per year.
The Palm Beach Zoo operates in a self-reliant, entrepreneurial fashion where we expect our goals of both mission accomplishment and economic sustainability to be measurably maintained and achieved. We emphasize the critical importance of a positive outlook and team orientation, because not-for-profit institutions operating without substantial public subsidy must be efficient and achievement oriented in order to succeed.
Due to recent operational and fundraising success, we are now in a position to address a number of deferred maintenance needs and exciting capital projects anticipated to improve animal welfare and expand the guest experience. These initiatives include projects to accommodate regular evening operations and a broader offering of conservation focused exhibits in the area of water quality, energy consumption, and refuse management. A Zoo Garden is also in conceptual design to explore and promote the “locavore” movement with visitors. The Zoo team believes that if we are to accomplish our mission, we must “walk the walk of conservation” more deliberately. The new Director of Facilities & Design will be an instrumental catalyst in achieving the level to which we aspire.
Skills and abilities we seek in the Director position:
• A proven eye for design and the ability to synthesize and graphically communicate visual imagery into cost effective and tasteful Zoo improvements.
• To produce conceptual budgets and plans for use by fundraising, development, and grant sourcing departments and the ability to publically present such plans to staff, our Board, and others.
• To identify qualified service providers, solicit interest from the marketplace, engage equitably competitive proposals, and efficiently select and bind service providers into value based agreements.
• To draft and edit all manner of work scopes, purchase orders, and contracts for services ranging from routine facilities maintenance and supply purchasing to design, engineering, and construction of major capital projects.
• To procure the many permits and entitlements needed to meet a wide variety of building & zoning codes, environmental, and wildlife regulations.
• To manage, oversee, and supervise the designers, engineers, inspectors, and contractors hired to complete major capital projects from permit through punch-list.
• To lead the design, engineering, and construction of small capital projects to be carried out in house in conjunction with the Facilities Manager and staff. Knowledge and experience with tools, equipment, means and methods is a plus in order to demonstrate, monitor, and supervise others.
• To lead the ongoing effort to assemble and organize as-built plans, record drawings, and owner’s manual materials for all Zoo systems into an effective facilities maintenance system.
• To manage direct reports on a daily basis in an inspiring, positive, team-oriented fashion, and to relate to other managers and staff members with a cooperative sense of urgency.
Minimal Applicant Requirements:
• A college degree (unless you are Bill Gates) and the ability to write professionally. A professional degree in architecture or engineering is a plus, as is a general contractor or design professional license.
• At least three years experience with direct supervision of trade level-personnel.
• At least three years experience bidding, negotiating, and awarding contracts with suppliers, contractors, design and engineering professionals, and service providers.
• Thorough knowledge of Excel, Word, Power-point, and Outlook.
• A consensus builder.
Relationships – this position:
• Reports to: CEO
• Partners with: CFO, General Curator, Director of Education, and Chief Development Officer.
• Collaborates with: Associate Curators, Visitor Services Manager, Concessions Managers.
• Supervises: Facilities Manager and staff of five.
Working Requirements – applicant must be able to:
• Be available 24/7 as a potential point of emergency response.
• Navigate a construction site – ladder and scaffold climbing – in order to carry out management duties. Lift up to 50 pounds from time to time.
• Demonstrate the proper use of equipment and gear needed for a safe work environment.
• Pass a background and drug test, and legally drive in Florida.
Working Conditions – applicant will be exposed to:
• Hot weather – especially in the summer, often over 90 degrees and humid.
• Moving mechanical systems, live electrical circuits, various solvents, corrosives, fuels, and cleaning chemicals.
What we offer:
• A competitive salary, commensurate with your skills and experience.
• A generous benefits package including health, dental, life, and disability insurance, a 40lk plan, and paid vacations and holidays, and a Zoo Membership!
To apply, please address your cover letter and resume to:
Ms. Tara Francis
Palm Beach Zoo
1301 Summit Boulevard
West Palm Beach, FL 33405
Then forward to email address: TFrancis@palmbeachzoo.org by December 1, 2013.
No phone calls please and thank you for your interest.