Organization: Greater Los Angeles Zoo Association
Location: Los Angeles, CA, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Interim Marketing Communications and PR Manager will be responsible for developing and implementing marketing and public relations efforts for the Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens in order to build brand awareness, community engagement, media coverage, and ultimately serving to fulfill the mission and increase attendance and revenue. The Marketing Communications and PR Manager will work directly with the Vice President, Marketing to plan and implement annual strategies and day-to-day media relations efforts and marketing campaigns.
• This is a highly visible role within the organization and requires the ability to effectively communicate, as well as collaborate and build consensus among different cross-functional groups and teams
• Must be able to plan and execute press events, write media alerts and press releases, develop media kits, conduct media outreach, monitor and proactively manage media coverage
• Develop strong relationships with local and national media contacts to maximize current and future exposure, and be a trusted resource for the straight story
• Develop and pitch long lead human-interest stories that advance the mission of the organization, as well as secure tactical event coverage
• Monitor all internal and external communication channels to ensure consistency of brand representation
• Secure impactful media placements and develop content and messages that reinforce the significance and relevancy of the Zoo
• Professionally and confidently respond to difficult and challenging PR issues. Act as a spokesperson for the LA Zoo, supervise interviews conducted with other staff and serve as the central point of contact within the Zoo for all press relations
• Respond to and resolve guest feedback while professionally representing the Zoo and demonstrating concern for the guest experience
• Supervise PR agency and personnel
• Assess potential of grass-roots marketing outreach and promotions programs, making recommendations on those programs that provide the highest value to the organization while being sensitive to the resources available
• Conceptualize activities that build excitement about the Zoo experience, drive visitation and generate positive word-of-mouth referrals. Coordinate with the event staff to build budgets, execute, and market special events
• Represent the LA Zoo and supervise outreach events at different venues and complementary organizations
• Assist in the annual planning and management of new and ongoing programming, such as a speaker series and film series, to further the brand mission and exposure across multiple audiences
• Develop marketing communications and PR plans that reach and attract the broad demographic of the Los Angeles community
• Work with and direct advertising agency in developing branding and tactical advertising campaigns and media spends
• Support PR and marketing efforts across all channels: social media, promotions, partnerships, advertising, events, etc.
• Effectively manage budgets, monitor and perform post analysis on campaigns
• Report internally and to GLAZA committees
• Other duties as assigned
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Minimum 3-4 years of experience in marketing communications and PR at a management level
• Bachelor’s Degree required in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, or related field
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written, verbal and presentation format, and build and maintain relationships
• Spanish fluency desirable
• Able to act as spokesperson for the Zoo, represent the Zoo on camera and in interviews
• Exercise superior judgment in tone and quality of communications with our audience
• Develop and maintain database of public relations contacts and actively manages these contacts
• Proven track record in managing the creative development process and employing multi-channel communications; developing and managing budgets, and producing quality deliverables within established timeframes
• Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines and ensure timely action
• Must be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and work within a very fast-paced environment with rapidly shifting priorities
• Excellent computer skills and knowledge of media monitoring tools and Google Analytics. Above average aptitude with Office suite: Excel, Word and PowerPoint
• Exceptional analytical skills, ability to review and synthesize large quantities of data and extrapolate significant, relevant, and actionable findings
• Strong project management and organizational skills, creative thinker with a passion for developing relationships with media
• Ability to anticipate and prevent problems; ability to craft workable solutions to problems that arise
• Willingness to work as a team member, including supporting events execution, includes working evenings, holidays and weekends as needed
• Ability to lift moderate loads using proper safety techniques
• Ability to move around Zoo grounds on a daily basis
• Ability to work extensively on computers and telephones
• Possession of a California Class C Drivers License and appropriate insurance
Compensation and responsibilities will depend on experience/qualifications.
GLAZA is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
IMMEDIATE RESPONSE REQUIRED. No phone calls or agencies please.
To apply: please submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
Greater Los Angeles Zoo Association
Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, only those candidates selected for consideration will be contacted.