Organization: Merlin Sea Life
Location: Grapevine, TX, us
Job or Internship: Job
The Aquarist position at the SEA LIFE Aquarium Grapevine, Texas is part of the Displays Team. The position will be a full time position. The position requires a team member to perform the routine husbandry and maintenance required of SEA LIFE’s marine and freshwater displays. The Aquarist is required to be SCUBA certified and capable of delivering a high standard of work performance in the areas of exhibit husbandry, diving and guest experience under the direction of the Displays Curator.
Your areas of responsibility will include:
- Provide daily care of animal exhibits including diet preparation, feeding and general care and maintenance of aquatic exhibits in accordance with established protocols.
- Maintain and prepare accurate daily records for aquarium systems, exhibit specimens and dive related and animal health related paperwork.
- Assist with specimen transports, water quality testing, quarantine, diagnosis and treatment of fish disease.
- Work with Displays team to provide the animal care, cleaning and maintenance of aquarium displays requiring SCUBA diving (i.e. 200,000 gallon tropical ocean display)
- Deliver interactive programming to guests and guest presentations involving displays and exhibit diving. Participate in guest relations/interactions and perform daily public presentations as needed.
- Ability to meet AZA and USDA and Merlin Health and Safety Standards.
Ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Minimum of 6 months of Full Time aquatic animal experience in a professional aquarium environment with demonstrated knowledge of safe animal handling practices and maintaining a safe working environment.
- Experience in the husbandry of a variety of marine and freshwater species of fish and invertebrates, sea turtles and elasmobranches to include; display maintenance, behavior observation, record keeping, nutrition, diet preparation, feeding techniques, disinfection procedures, and water make up.
- Knowledge of water quality parameters with experience using water quality testing equipment used in testing D.O., Salinity, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Copper and other water quality parameters.
- Experience performing necropsies to include slide preparation, organ identification, and disease identification. Knowledge of the treatments of fish disease.
- Valid open water SCUBA certification from a recognized recreational or commercial diver training agency with the ability to become rescue certified.
- 6 months of dive experience in a public aquarium setting with a minimum of 10 dives completed in a large volume display of 70,0000 gallons or more.
- Ability to obtain and hold a current First Aid, CPR, AED, DAN O2 certification.
- B.A/B.S. degree in Life Sciences (Biology, Marine Biology, Zoology, Psychology) Or a two year certification from an accredited aquarium science/zoological program is required.
- Ability to maintain a clean/organized work environment
- Ability to work effectively with limited or no supervision
- Must interact and communicate with guests, management, veterinarians, and other individuals and be able to deliver quality customer service.
- Requires the ability to maintain a friendly, polite, service oriented demeanor.
- Must be able to communicate and support the Aquarium’s mission and goals.
- Ability to obtain and hold valid Texas Driver’s License.
Ability to work weekends, nights, holidays, and be on-call and keep flexible hours.
How to Apply: Please create a profile on www.TinyURL.com/MerlinCareers and apply to Job 1960. MerlinCareers.com will allow you to attach your interest letter and resume in one document.
Closing Date: Friday, October 25th, 2013
“We believe that the key to delivering the ultimate guest experience is through our people”