Organization: Oakland Zoo
Location: Oakland, California, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The RVT position at Oakland Zoo is a multi-faceted job that integrates advanced zoo animal nursing care, quarantine care, husbandry, communication within and to other departments in the zoo, maintenance of hospital equipment and supplies, capture and restraint of zoo animals, and other functions.
The Registered Veterinary Technician performs all job assignments with a positive attitude that reflects the Oakland Zoo’s mission to inspire respect and stewardship of the natural world, and the Oakland Zoo Veterinary Hospital’s mission to provide outstanding veterinary care. The Registered Veterinary Technician assists the veterinary staff with clinical and surgical procedures; provides technical support and nursing care for the collection; and is responsible for feeding, cleaning, and medical treatments for hospitalized and quarantined animals, in concert with the hospital keeper. This position reports to the Director of Veterinary Services.
1. Licensed Veterinary Technician in California, or ability to obtain license within 6 months of hire.
2. Minimum of two years’ experience as a veterinary technician; including at least of one year of exotic animal experience is strongly preferred.
3. Good physical condition; able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs and move (a maximum of) 120lbs.
4. Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
5. Willingness to work outside normal business hours, including weekends and holidays.
6. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
7. Knowledge of the habits and hazards of working with wild animals; willingness to work with some physical risk while observing proper safety precautions.
8. Willingness to work in the hospital setting, following hospital protocols.
9. Able to meet the physical requirements of the job (this can include the ability to: bend and twist, lift, stand, kneel, sit, walk, bend, stoop, crawl, hear, and speak regularly and for long periods of time (8 hour shifts or longer)).
10. Demonstrate knowledge of, and supports, the East Bay Zoological Society’s mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of behavior.
11. Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
Experience and Qualities Valued/Preferred:
1. 2 years (or more) full-time, advanced experience with exotic animal species as a veterinary technician, including mammals, birds, and reptiles.
2. Experience working with large animals.
3. Excellent team-building and leadership skills.
4. Experience with capture and restraint techniques including darting experience
5. Advanced organizational skills, advanced communication and computer skills.
6. A positive, cheerful attitude is a must!
Salary and Benefits: Salary range: $18 to $20 per hour. Rate is dependent on experience. Benefits (health, dental, life insurance and the option to participate in the Zoo’s 403(b) plan). Two weeks of vacation and sick leave.
Send resume, cover letter, and three professional references, via email to:
Karen Emanuelson DVM
Director of Veterinary Services