Organization: South Carolina Aquarium
Location: Charleston, SC, Country
Job or Internship: Job
Join the team at Charleston, South Carolina's #1 Visitor Attraction located along the Pristine Charleston Harbor!
This position is responsible for the coordination and oversight of all recruitment aspects for education volunteers. Duties include recruitment, interviewing, onboarding and retention.
• Adhere to the South Carolina Aquarium Policies & Procedures.
• Actively recruit new and diverse education volunteers.
• Coordinate Master Guide program with education staff.
• Responsible for overall coordination of the Aquateen program.
• Participate in Orientation sessions
• Facilitate and enhance communication between volunteer supervisors and volunteers.
• Create a fun and engaging atmosphere for volunteers.
• Serve as a role model to volunteers.
• Follow up with exhibit guide volunteers at 25 hours and annually to ensure they understand their position and how they impact SCA operations..
• Identify and resolve a variety of situations as they pertain to volunteers. May include volunteer disputes, behavior problems, misinformation, complaints, or unique problems.
• Responds to new unexpected and non-routine requests in a timely manner.
• Consistently open to new suggestions and looking for improvement opportunities to enhance the volunteer program.
OTHER DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Support the mission by participating in Aquarium sponsored programs and events on a regular basis.
• Write regular articles for Wavelengths
• Assist as needed with recognition programs
SKILLS KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
• Good computer skills, including experience with spreadsheets, page design and word processing.
• Excellent group presentation skills.
• Excellent group management skills.
• Ability to work with audiences of all ages.
• Ability to maintain a sense of humor.
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and produce high quality work while meeting tight deadlines with little lead-time.
• Ability to work weekends and evenings, as needed.
• Ability to manage conflict and resolve issues.
• Strong teamwork ethic.
• Strong leadership skills.
• High quality standards.
• High approachability.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• Associates or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• 3-5 years of experience working with/managing volunteers.
LICENSED & CERTIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
• Valid Driver’s License.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
• Indirect supervision and administrative oversight for all Volunteers
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS and WORKING CONDITIONS: 100% normal office environment with average walking, standing, bending, stooping, crouching, sitting and computer and phone tasks required. Occasional ability to lift up to 50 lbs needed and occasional travel and late nights required
Salary: Commensurate with Experience & Education
Qualified Candidates please send a Resume' and Cover Letter to: email@example.com