Organization: Houston Zoo
Location: Houston, Texas, Country
Job or Internship: Job
The Houston Zoo aspires to be recognized by peers, staff, and general public as a leader among conservation efforts, delivering excellence in animal care, entertainment, education, and Guest service. Join an enthusiastic team that provides a fun, unique and inspirational experience fostering appreciation, knowledge, and care for the natural world.
The Horticulture Supervisor is primarily responsible for supervising the Horticulture Technicians, outside contractors and Volunteers in the design, installation, care and maintenance of the entire Zoo landscape.
• Schedules and supervises the day to day operations of the horticulture team and their management of the Zoo landscape
• Prioritizes and assigns Work Orders to Senior Technicians and ensures their completion and data entry
• Creates individual plant records including images, scientific information, acquisition information, planting location/date and cultivation information in order to help achieve Botanic Garden status
• Continues to label the Zoo’s plant collection and manage the ‘Horticulture Chat’ program
• Assists in the design of and then oversees the installation or renovation of Zoo landscaping
• Orders replacement plants where necessary from an allocated portion of the department budget
• Assists in managing the Zoo’s irrigation and watering master plan including forward planning, installation and maintenance
• Continually develops the Zoo’s horticulture team, including performance management, training and disciplinary action
• Ensure compliance with OSHA standards and regulations, as well as state, local and federal ordinances. Observes safety regulations and ensures that field teams do the same
• Supplies input on design and the selection of plants for new exhibits and projects
• Works with appropriate Zoo staff to co-coordinate projects and ensures that the team is prepared when projects are on-going in their area
• Responsible for communicating the progress of ongoing projects to the Horticulture Manager
• Responsible for overseeing the inventory and maintenance of departmental tools and equipment
• Responsible for overseeing the creation and maintenance of fertilization and herbicide application records
• Monitors all team attendance including checking and approving team timesheets and project breakdown, leave requests, etc.
Staff may occasionally be required to work weekends, holidays and beyond scheduled work hours. Staff may also provide crowd control if necessary during peak times.
Supervises twelve or more Horticulture Technicians including Team Leads and Specialists
• Two years supervisory experience
• A sound background in the identification and culture of plants, as well as working knowledge of horticultural best practices
• Some landscape design experience preferred
• Four year degree in Natural Science (e.g. Horticulture, Agriculture etc.) or equivalent work experience required
• Excellent oral and written communication
• Ability to work in a team environment and cooperate with other staff and volunteers
• Must have a valid Texas Driver’s License and comply with policy on driving
There are routine exposures to significant levels of heat, cold, moisture and air pollution. The position may involve periodic exposure to chemical substances and physical trauma of a minor nature such as cuts, bruises and minor burns.
Requires the ability to make coordinated gross motor movements in response to changing external stimuli within moderately demanding tolerances; or the ability to make coordinated eye/hand movements on a patterned response space within low tolerance demands with no real speed requirements.
The position involves considerable physical exertion, such as extensive walking, bending, stooping and regular climbing of ladders, lifting of heavy objects (up to 80 pounds) on a highly frequent basis and/or assuming awkward positions for long periods of time.
Requires attention to detail and a concern for public comfort through providing a clean and pleasant environment for both zoo guests and staff.
Applicants can visit www.houstonzoo.org/careers to download an application
E-mail resume and completed application to email@example.com
Houston Zoo is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer