Organization: Chicago Zoological Society/Brookfield Zoo
Location: Brookfield, IL, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
Chicago Zoological Society, which manages Brookfield Zoo, is currently accepting applications for our College Experiential Learning Opportunities (CELO) program.
Please visit the following site for specific details on applying and contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any other questions you may have: (http://www.czs.org/czs/internships)
Chicago Zoological Society is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer - M/F/V/D
Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply and to identify themselves.
Title Exhibits Intern (unpaid)
This position contributes to the success of the Chicago Zoological Society by expanding and refining our material knowledge in the design and production of naturalistic durable enrichment devices for animals on exhibit. These enrichment devices do help encourage natural behaviors while enhancing the overall aesthetic appeal of the exhibit.
1. Assist in the molding, prepping and casting of enrichment devices that resemble natural looking rocks and logs. These devices will be used as puzzle feeders with food rewards or as play toys.
2. Research available urethane plastics for use in our new rotational casting machine.
3. Work along side crafts persons to test durability of materials and evaluate success of castings.
4. Create catalog of existing enrichment designs used around the zoo as well as explore new design possibilities.
5. Other related duties as assigned.
• Minimum two years of college with 2.5/4.0 overall GPA, majoring in Training and Development or Organizational Development or other directly related field/coursework.
• Minimum 18 years of age.
• Good organizational skills, ability to collating results and a capacity to evaluate data
• Ability to problem solve and provide alternate perspective
• Basic computer skills including on line research and contacting vendors
• Comfort with basic hand tools and weights and measures
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills and ability to follow direction
• Must enjoy wildlife and want to contribute to the care and welfare of our animal collection
• Experience and/or ability to work and interact effectively with a diverse, multicultural audience.
• Valid driver’s license required. Illinois residents must possess a valid Illinois license within 90 days of hire. Valid out-of-state license required for out-of-state residents.
• Experience or interest in one or more of the following areas:
•Art production background: set construction, prop fabrication
•Engineering or technical capabilities: mechanical design skills, material science
•Industrial production: mold making and casting, knowledge of materials
•Research assistance: researching materials, purchasing, ordering, finding vendors
•Animal behavior science: animal welfare and enrichment
• Multilingual ability, Spanish fluency a plus.
This is an opportunity to participate in new program creating naturalistic enrichment for the zoo’s animal collection and to impact the quality of their life.