Organization: Detroit Zoological Society
Location: Royal Oak, Michigan, Country
Job or Internship: Job
The Director of Conservation facilitates and leads field conservation programs and initiatives of the Detroit Zoological Society. The Director of Conservation develops, conducts, facilitates and oversees field research and conservation projects aimed at assessing and improving the conservation of wildlife populations; recognizes and mitigates anthropogenic impacts on individual animals; contributes to knowledge of conservation status, needs and conservation action effectiveness; consults and cooperates with curators and others in field conservation project development and administration; and contributes to the development of DZS conservation philosophy and policy.
• Design, coordinate, conduct and oversee applied field research and conservation projects aimed at assessing and improving wildlife populations and furthering knowledge of conservation status, needs and conservation action effectiveness.
• Advance conservation strategies that recognize and mitigate anthropogenic impacts on and ensure well-being of individual animals.
• Consult and cooperate with Curators of the Life Sciences and others wildlife conservation.
• Contribute to the development of DZS conservation philosophy and policy.
• Contribute to the development of Detroit Zoological Society Conservation and Animal Welfare Master Plans.
• Share results of research through publication of scientific and popular articles.
• Develop and conduct presentations at professional meetings.
• Create and conduct educational presentations in both formal and informal settings.
• Contribute to strategic and other organizational planning processes.
• Prepare, submit, and monitor budgets as required.
• Maintain and produce annual reports on conservation programs and investment.
• Perform other duties as required.
• Advanced degree in ecology, zoology, or a closely related discipline.
• Experience conducting ecological field research.
• Demonstrated background in wildlife conservation program management.
• Knowledge of global environmental and ecological threats.
To view complete job descriptions and to apply online, please visit www.detroitzoo.org. The direct link to the jobs page is: http://detroitzoo.iapplicants.com/searchjobs.php.