Organization: Kansas City Zoo
Location: Kansas City, Missouri, United States
Job or Internship: Job
This keeper position at the Kansas City Zoo is in the Baobab area. The species include, but may not be limited to, western lowland gorilla, black mangabey, red-capped mangabey, leopard, bongo, yellow-backed duiker, red duiker, blue duiker, Kirk’s dik-dik, cheetah, warthog, red-ruffed lemur, Southern ground hornbill, East African crowned crane, saddle-billed stork, bateleur eagle, lappet-faced vulture, masked lovebird, marbled teal, cattle egret,white-faced whistling duck,hottentot teal, white-cheeked turaco, silvery-cheeked hornbill, superb starling, white-headed buffalo weaver, and aldabra tortoises. The new keeper would join a team of eight keepers who take care of the animals in this section of the zoo.
This is a FULL TIME position with benefits
Under direction, performs routine work assignments involving the care of zoo animals and maintenance of exhibits, enclosures, service and animal holding areas. Performs related work as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Prepares diets for the animal collection; cleans animal exhibits, service and holding areas.
• Responsible for the daily observation of animal health and welfare.
• Reports births, deaths, injuries and/or irregular behavior of animals to appropriate manager.
• Maintains daily reports and other records.
• Assists in training animals for basic husbandry and enrichment behaviors.
• Assists with the movement, capture and restraint of animals.
• Assists with animal health procedures.
• Answers visitor’s questions about the Zoo and the animals as necessary.
• Reports maintenance issues and potential safety hazards to appropriate manager.
• Performs minor repairs and improvements of exhibits under supervision.
• Assists in training new keepers and volunteers.
• Carries out duties and job assignments as delegated by appropriate Animal Manager or Assistant Curator.
• Active. Heavy lifting – lifts and carries items weighing up to 75 pounds. Sufficient mobility, vision and hearing are needed to ensure a safe work environment. Must be able to be on feet for four hours at a time.
• Occasionally in a climate controlled building environment. Mainly outside working in extremes of heat, up to 100° + in summer and temperatures below freezing in winter.
• Internal: Daily with other zoo employees.
• External: Daily with visitors, volunteers and guests.
• Knowledge of animal behavior.
• Knowledge of procedures used for the proper care and handling of exotic and domestic animals.
• Eventual knowledge of zoo safety rules and regulations.
• Ability to tolerate stress working with exotic animals.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions including procedures for care and maintenance of animals, exhibit, service and holding spaces.
• Ability to endure high risk situations when feeding, transferring or restraining animals.
• Ability to exhibit patience when caring for animals.
• Ability to exercise judgment concerning assigned work activities.
• Skill in tact and diplomacy when interacting with co-workers, visitors and volunteers.
• Skill in observation in order to recognize and evaluate conditions of animal health, diets and behavior.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s Degree in a Biological Science or a closely related field. High school Diploma or General Educational Development (GED) Certificate accepted with at least one year of experience in a similar position.
• Must have valid driver’s license.
• Proof of current negative TB Test.
• Willingness to work a rotating shift and rotate work tasks.
• Ability to work weekends, evenings and holidays, during all climatic conditions.
• Must be able to make immediate decisions concerning safety of animals and people.
Considerable latitude is given to the position to carry out the work objectives and determine the best method for dealing with situations that arise.
• High. Frequent short deadlines. Hectic work environment with occasional periods of high stress.
HOW TO APPLY:
The complete job description can be found on our website at www.kansascityzoo.org. Click on Employment‚ Employment Opportunities‚ then on the job title.
Applications are accepted online 24 hours a day at www.kansascityzoo.org or in person Monday through Friday 8:30a-5:00p at 6800 Zoo Drive, Kansas City, MO 64132.
Please note that due to the large volume of applications received, we will be unable to contact every applicant and are unable to accept follow-up or status-check phone calls.
The Kansas City Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE/MFDV