Organization: The Wildlife Conservation Society
Location: Bronx, New York, New York, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Assistant Supervisor/ Animal Department, CPZ
REPORTS TO: Animal Supervisor/Collection Manager/Curator
DIRECTLY COORDINATES and SUPERVISES: Senior Keepers, Wild Animal Keepers, Volunteers and Part-time staff
POSITION OBJECTIVE:To assist in the supervision of all animal-related facility operations and the day to day management of the animal staff, animal collection and exhibits
1. Assist in the overall daily operation of all animal-related installations, including the supervision of the activities of the keeper staff, part-time workers and volunteers.
2. Assist in ascertaining, initiating, administering and reviewing protocols for animal care, keeper safety and the maintenance of equipment in the animal exhibits and associated facilities and service areas.
3. Assist in supervising care and maintenance of the animal collection and records and in preparing and submitting reports and animal censuses.
4. Assist in ascertaining the needs of the animal collection and initiating food orders and work orders for environmental repairs or renovations as required.
5. Assist in capturing, handling, transporting and/or preparing of animals for shipment.
6. Assist the Supervisor, Collections Manager and Curator in coordinating the medical care needed for the animal collection following the instructions of the veterinary staff.
7. Assist in supervising the maintenance and construction of exhibits or support services.
8. Assist in Life Support System management and record keeping.
9. Serve as Acting Animal Supervisor in their absence.
10. Serve as a member of the CPZ emergency response team.
11. Assist in management and disposition of feral and nuisance wildlife.
12. May do research or assist in research projects, publish scientific papers and popular articles, attend professional meetings collection or study specimens in the field and give tours and lectures. May also teach courses, train personnel and consult for various governmental agencies and other institutions as required.
13. Enforce WCS’s rules and regulations and those of the CPZ Animal Department.
14. Perform related tasks and duties as required.
15. Contribute to, enlarge and uphold WCS’s policies toward the Equal Employment Opportunities for women, minorities, veterans, the handicapped and other protected groups.
Candidates must have either a bachelor's degree in a biological field or 5 years of experience as a Wild Animal Keeper. Some supervisory experience is preferred but not mandatory.
Valid, current driver’s license required.
Please visit http://www.wcs.org/about-us/careers/nyc-full-time.aspx for a complete job description and instructions on how to apply online.