Organization: Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
Location: Tacoma, Washington, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
Thank you for your interest in the Aquarium Husbandry Internship at the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium. The Aquarium team at is dedicated to the husbandry and interpretation of a large collection of North and South Pacific fish and invertebrates.
This internship is designed to provide instruction in the following areas: animal husbandry, nutrition and diets, record keeping, water quality, public education and knowledge of fish and invertebrates.
This internship is an in-depth program requiring a 40 hour per week commitment for 10-12 weeks. Interns must be flexible with their schedule, and have the ability to work weekdays, weekends and holidays. It is an unpaid position and there is no housing provided. Interns are considered volunteers so the zoo does not provide any medical coverage for on or off the job injuries or incidents. We will do everything possible to accommodate school requirements for those who can earn class credit.
To apply for an internship at Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium you must:
1. Be currently enrolled in, or have recently graduated from a college or university.
2. Have a minimum of one year of course work in a major field of study to be applied during the internship (e.g. biology, zoology, animal behavior, psychology, etc.)
3. Be capable of the physical abilities required to work with animals (i.e. lift 50 pounds, etc.)
4. Submit an application.
5. Submit a cover letter including your career goals.
6. Submit a resume.
7. Submit answers to application questions.
8. Submit two letters of recommendation from an advisor or supervisor. (These may be sent separately.)
9. Undergo a phone or on-site interview.
10. Commit to a minimum of 400 hours (32 –40 hours a week) for at least 10 weeks
11. Once selected, be willing to verify ability to swim.
12. Once selected, provide proof of a tetanus vaccination within the past 5 years.
Applications for the winter season are must be received via email or postmarked by Friday October 18th, 2013.
Please note: Candidates may apply for multiple positions during one application period; however complete applications must be submitted for each position. Candidates may not apply for multiple seasons during one application period (applications will not be kept for future positions).
Please mail OR email completed application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
Internship Program Coordinator
5400 North Pearl Street
Tacoma, WA 98407