Organization: The Wilds
Location: Cumberland, Ohio, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
The Wilds is one of the largest and most innovative conservation centers in the world. Apprenticeship positions are available through the Restoration Ecology Program. Below is a summary of the position:
• Apprentices gain valuable hands-on experience, participate in land management projects and receive field training on a variety of ecological studies in wetland, forest and grassland habitats.
• Schedule: M-F, 9:00-5:00 September 1st – March 1st.
• Candidates must be responsible, flexible, self-motivated and able to work both independently as well as in a team.
• Typical tasks: habitat management, control of invasive plants (hand pulling, mechanical and assisting with herbicide applications), vegetation monitoring and research plot maintenance.
• Skills training: vegetation identification, research methodology, GPS / GIS applications, biological monitoring and application of practical field methods.
• The position is physically demanding at times, requiring outdoor work throughout the seasons. This may include hot, buggy and sometimes challenging conditions.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to lift at least 45 lbs.
Interns do not receive monetary compensation; however the position is ideal for those interested in a career in conservation, natural resource management, land stewardship or ecological studies. Opportunities for school credit are available. On-site housing is available for $250/month.
To apply, send your resume with references and a cover letter to the contact below. Please outline your interest in the position, what you would hope to gain from it and how your past experience makes you an ideal candidate. All internships at the Wilds are competitive and we value placing individuals in programs that suit their career goals.
Please send application materials to:
Director of Conservation Science
14000 International Road
Cumberland, OH 43732
740-638-5030 ext. 2301