Organization: Kansas City Zoo
Location: Kansas City, Missouri, United States
Job or Internship: Job
This area of the zoo includes a wide variety of animals including ten species of snakes, seven species of amphibians, 15 species of birds, and eight species of mammals. This supervisor will oversee eight full-time employees, one part-time keeper, as well as any seasonal employees and interns. The list of duties and responsibilities can be seen on the supplied attachment.
Organizes and coordinates daily functions and upkeep of assigned area of responsibility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assists the Animal Curators in coordinating the daily activities of the zoo keeping staff to ensure that daily animal husbandry needs are satisfied.
• Assists with training of zoo keeping staff in areas of animal husbandry/handling, safety practices and animal exhibit maintenance.
• Assists in animal health procedures.
• Observes and reports on issues concerning animal behavior, animal health, and other relevant activities.
• Schedules employees within work group for daily coverage, cross-training, etc.
• Knowledgeable of and able to complete routine for entire coverage area.
• Regularly meet with keepers and curators regarding management concerns, health problems, maintenance issues, etc.
• Ensure zoo is meeting institutional guidelines for disinfection, pest control, grounds maintenance.
• Inform curators of any maintenance issues and/or work orders that need filed.
• Provide input on animal husbandry, enrichment and operant conditioning within area
• Effectively communicate management decisions regarding animal husbandry, enrichment and operant conditioning to zookeepers.
• Ability to lift 75 pounds
• Sufficient mobility, vision and hearing to ensure a safe work environment
• Ability to remain on feet for up to 4 hours at a time.
• Duties will be performed in a variety of weather conditions. Environment will vary by assigned work group.
• Daily with zoo visitors, volunteers, guests and occasionally with other zoo professionals.
• Interacts with curators and zookeepers in assigned area.
• Knowledge of animal behavior, husbandry, and welfare.
• Knowledge of proper animal handling techniques for animals in assigned work group.
• Knowledge of institutional policies, protocols, and regulations
• Ability to exercise judgment concerning assigned tasks.
• Ability to communicate clearly in a written and oral fashion
• Skill in tact and diplomacy when interacting with visitors and co-workers.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelors Degree in a biological science and 2 years animal husbandry experience.
• Must have valid drivers license
• Proof of current negative TB test
• Ability to work weekends, evenings and holidays during all climatic conditions
• Must be able to make immediate decisions concerning safety of animals and people.
• Direct supervision from Assistant Curators to carry out work objectives and determine the best method for dealing with situations that arise.
• High. Frequent short deadlines
• Hectic work environment with occasional periods of high stress.
HOW TO APPLY:
The complete job description can be found on our website at www.kansascityzoo.org. Click on Employment‚ Employment Opportunities‚ then on the job title.
Applications are accepted online 24 hours a day at www.kansascityzoo.org or in person Monday through Friday 8:30a-5:00p at 6800 Zoo Drive, Kansas City, MO 64132.
Please note that due to the large volume of applications received, we will be unable to contact every applicant and are unable to accept follow-up or status-check phone calls.
The Kansas City Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE/MFDV