Organization: Detroit Zoological Society
Location: Royal Oak, Michigan, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Mammal Department Supervisor- Hoof Stock oversees animal care practices for the Mammal department, schedules animal care and enrichment staff, coordinates mammal department activities, coordinates repair and maintenance of mammal facilities and provides animal care as needed.
Duties: • Participate in recruitment and selection of new Mammal Department animal care staff.
• Train animal care staff in areas including but not limited to, animal natural history, identification, feeds and feeding, cleaning and disinfection, shifting, capture and restraint, transport, operant conditioning training, enrichment, emergency procedures and routine maintenance.
• Assign routine and non-routine tasks to animal care staff.
• Supervise animal care staff activities, including animal care, enrichment, staff training, maintenance, research, guest interaction activities, special events and other projects as needed.
• Evaluate Mammal Department animal care staff performance.
• Issue or recommend disciplinary measures where needed.
• Assist with preparation of staff work schedules to ensure optimum care of animals and exceptional conditions for guests.
• Coordinate animal health and other medical procedures with veterinary staff.
• Conduct inspections of mammal facilities.
• Submit work orders for repairs and maintenance of facilities.
• Ensure compliance with relevant regulations.
• Maintain records, inventories and other information and provide written and verbal reports as required.
• Purchase equipment and supplies as needed.
• Perform animal care duties as required.
• Perform routine maintenance and make minor repairs to equipment and facilities.
• Conduct educational presentations in both formal and informal settings.
• Perform other duties as required.
To view complete job descriptions and to apply online, please visit www.detroitzoo.org. The direct link to the jobs page is: http://detroitzoo.iapplicants.com/searchjobs.php.