Organization: Miami Science Museum
Location: Miami, FL, us
Job or Internship:
DEPARTMENT: New Museum
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Assigned Exhibit Project Director
SUMMARY: The Exhibition Developer, under the direction of the assigned project director, is responsible for the planning and development of exhibits and related programs in the assigned exhibition spaces of the Miami Science Museum.The Developer will be responsible for delivering an engaging, personal, and memorable experience by leading the creative design and overall coordination of exhibitions and of specific interactive and multimedia components within. She/he will work in collaboration with the internal project team, consultants, copywriters, content experts, and fabricators. The Developer will work with an array of live species, graphics, multimedia, tactile elements, artifacts, hands-on interactives and other supporting elements. She/he will be responsible for managing the initial design and layout of opening day experience in the assigned gallery spaces and may also be responsible for creating and implementing a plan of changing content and programs to be implemented on a schedule to be determined. The ideal candidate will have knowledge or a passion for one or more of the following science areas: marine biology, environmental science, paleontology, physics, aerospace engineering, psychology, or behavioral science.
- Under the direction of the project director, manage the development and completion of the opening day experience for the assigned exhibition spaces of the Miami Science Museum.
- Collaborate in the development of the interpretive plan for the assigned exhibition spaces.
- Plan, develop and deliver exhibits that support the interpretive plan using a wide range of formats including graphics, hands-on interactives, multimedia components, tactile displays, and personalized web-based content to be delivered via mobile devices.
- Collaborate with and coordinate design consultants, fabricators, construction managers and all assigned internal team participants to successfully design and implement the exhibition program.
- Collaborate with Programs staff to develop and launch engaging public programs that support exhibitions and interpretive plan.
- Collaborate with internal and external translators to incorporate appropriate multilingual interpretation of the exhibits.
- Creates timelines for deliverables from consultants, fabricators, construction managers and all assigned internal team participants and ensures milestones are reached according to planned schedules.
- Conduct photo research and other visual media asset acquisition.
- Plan, organize and complete iterative prototyping activities working closely with other content developers, exhibit designers and fabricators
- Work with evaluation staff to conduct formal and informal audience research.
- Write and/or edit engaging and informative exhibit label copy and text for programs.
- Write and/or edit treatments and scripts for multimedia productions.
- Draft or assist in drafting RFPs for outsourced exhibition services as assigned by supervisor.
- Ensure that exhibits are experientially engaging and scientifically accurate.
- Prepare and manage budgets as assigned by supervisor.
- Oversee the final design, installation and commissioning of all components, graphic and supportive components of the assigned exhibition spaces
- Working with the VP of Exhibitions and VP of Engineering and Facilities, draft exhibit specific Standard Operating Procedures, Operating Manuals, Safety Plans, and Maintenance plans for the assigned exhibition(s) and lead the training of staff on all procedures.
- Work on other areas, tasks or other collaborative teams as needed and as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB/EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in natural sciences, museum studies or related field (Master’s degree preferred)
- 3-5 years experience developing original aquarium, museum or science center exhibits or comparable creative endeavors, from concept to final product.Demonstrated experience developing content rich, engaging and compelling experiences about science and technology
- Understanding and experience implementing multilingual exhibitions.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and/or passion for content areas of the museum
- Excellent communication skills, both interpersonally and in writing.
- Bilingual English/Spanish; Multilingual a plus
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with creativity, curiosity, integrity and determination.
- Valid Florida Drivers’ License
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe product suite
- Solid leadership abilities with demonstrable supervisory skills including effective delegation and assuring accountability.
- Ability to work under pressure, multitask, meet deadlines, and work collaboratively with other Executive Team members and other staff.
- Demonstrate a high level of organizational skills,
- Demonstrate a high level of self-motivation and self direction
- Excellent written and verbal communication with the ability to effectively share information across and between multiple disciplines and reach audiences with varied technical and organizational knowledge.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
Work is done in a variety of environments and conditions including offices, construction sites, mechanical rooms, confined spaces, etc and will be expected to use a variety of equipment and other circumstances that include increased physical risk and exposure to adverse environmental conditions. This position may require lifting of heavy objects in excess of 50 lbs, frequent bending, walking, climbing, reaching, and working hands on with living and non-living specimens, technology, and machinery that requires acute vision and hand dexterity. The position also requires the ability to work weekends, holidays and non-traditional hours to accomplish the necessary tasks on schedule.
Anyone wishing to be considered for this position should forward a resume & cover letter to Daniel Delgado in Human Resources via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at (305) 646-4242.
For further information and a full job description, please visit our website at www.miamisci.org and click on “Join Our Staff” under the Join & Support tab.