Organization: Six Flags Discovery Kingdon
Location: Vallejo, CA, us
Job or Internship: Job
Provide supervision, operational assistance, and technical guidance for personnel engaged in the daily care and training of the marine mammal collection at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. Reporting to the Director of Animal Care, this is a key leadership position that requires a motivated, dedicated team player that is willing to make a significant commitment to the organization.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists the Director of Animal Care in developing short-term and long-term objectives/strategies regarding the overall animal collection/organization, and the development of conservation and research initiatives consistent with Discovery Kingdom’s mission statement.
- Develops, implements, and monitors standard operating guidelines, safety protocols, and emergency procedures.
- Ensures compliance with all accrediting bodies, governing institutions and park policies.
- Represents Discovery Kingdom in a well-informed, positive manner before other zoological facilities, professional and educational organizations, the media, and federal and state agencies.
- Oversees staff recruitment, selection, and performance reviews.
- Ensure that Supervisory team maintains established behaviors, trains new behaviors, and provides enrichment based on the most current and widely accepted techniques.
- Develops and manages training and professional growth programs.
- Maintain a friendly work environment that is safe and productive for our animals and staff.
- Participates in the development of new facilities and implements improvements to existing facilities.
- Develops annual budget and operates within budget parameters.
- Participate in research and educational programs.
- Provide an outstanding guest experience.
- Performs other duties as requested/assigned.
Minimum 10 years of relevant experience in training and behavioral management of marine mammals
Experience working with cetaceans and pinnipeds
Minimum 5 years in a supervisory role
Strong problem solving, decision-making and leadership skills
Strong interpersonal and public speaking skills
Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing
Proficiency in MS Office applications
SCUBA certification and strong swimming skills
Preferred Qualifications / Experience
Bachelor’s degree in biology, zoology, or equivalent
AALSO Level 1 certification
Exhibit design and construction
Interactive and public programing
Facilitating research projects
Six Flags is an equal opportunity employer.
SIX FLAGS SUPPORTS A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Instructions for sending applications with mailing address, fax, and email address as appropriate
All interested applicants may submit a resume with salary requirements to the Director of Animal Care. Electronic submissions in a Word or PDF format are preferred. Any submission without salary requirements will not be considered. Phone calls will not be accepted.
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
Animal Care Department
1001 Fairgrounds Drive
Vallejo, CA 94589