Organization: Aquarium of the Pacific
Location: Long Beach, California, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
Purpose: The purpose of the enrichment internship is to give students practical experience in animal enrichment and animal observations. Enrichment interns will learn the importance of enrichment in a captive environment and proper techniques used to created different enrichment items for a variety of species.
The person in this position is to assist the husbandry department in creating enrichment items for the bird, program animal, and marine mammal collections. Interns will not only make a variety of enrichment items, they will also be responsible for observing the animals with these items daily and recording the animal’s behavior and interest level. This is a non-paid internship.
Experience: Knowledge of animal husbandry and an understanding of animal enrichment preferred but not required.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
1. Ability to research protocols and conduct experiments.
2. Broad knowledge of ecological and biological principles.
3. Interns must be willing to work hard and make animal observations for long periods of time.
4. Interns should be creative and comfortable speaking to guests by answering questions about the animal collection they will be observing.
5. Willingness to work hard and get dirty.
6. Strong communication skills to transmit information to staff, visitors and program participants in a clear and thorough manner.
7. Ability to manage multiple tasks.
8. Interest in pursuing a career in animal care or research.
9. Desire to instill a sense of wonder, respect and stewardship for the Pacific Ocean and its inhabitants.
1. Completion of 240hrs over a 15 week time period.
2. Must complete general orientation class.
3. Must attend continuing education session when applicable.
4. Junior, Senior, or Graduate standing at accredited university or college.
5. Interest in pursuing a career in the animal care of research field.
6. Completion of project or research paper during internship period.
Candidates will be competitively chosen on the basis of knowledge, abilities, and experience. Interested and qualified? Please feel free to complete an application by clicking the link; be sure to indicate in your application that you are interested in the Enrichment opportunity! Applications accepted until July 31st.