Organization: Henson Robinson Zoo
Location: Springfield, Illinois, United States
Job or Internship: Job
SPRINGFIELD PARK DISTRICT
HENSON ROBINSON ZOO
Job Title: Director of Henson Robinson Zoo
Lead the operation and continued growth of the Henson Robinson Zoo. Plan, coordinate, and supervise the daily operation of the zoo including educational programs, volunteer programs, special events, customer service, concession operations, gift shop operations, maintenance operations and others. Maintain standards to ensure continued Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) accreditation. Work to implement the zoo master plan through the planning of new exhibits, improvements, and acquisition of animals. Oversee and maintain the healthy and safety of the animal collection. Coordinate with other departments within the Park District to insure successful zoo operations. Work cooperatively with the Springfield Zoological Society, at the discretion of the Park District.
As necessary to insure the proper maintenance and operation of the Henson Robinson Zoo.
Exempt – This is a salaried position and will not receive any overtime payment regardless of the number of hours worked.
Labor Union: No
Salary: As negotiated
This position reports to the Director of the Springfield Park District.
1. Responsible for the day-to-day management of the Henson Robinson Zoo. Develops policy and establishes procedures to optimize animal care and efficiency of operation.
2. Responsible for forecasting costs, anticipating needs and preparing and managing the zoo’s annual operating budget. Monitors income and expenses, completes weekly financial reports.
3. Plans and develops new exhibits. Must be able to work closely with architects and contractors to oversee the design and construction of new exhibits.
4. Works with news media, groups, agencies and other zoos for the promotion of the Henson Robinson Zoo. Ensures the preparation of news releases, printed articles, weekly television spots and other public relation activities.
5. Supervises and plans promotional activities at the zoo.
6. Works closely with the Springfield Zoological Society, at the discretion of the Park District, to promote the zoo and assist in the coordination of their events.
7. Along with Assistant Director, attend AZA conferences and workshops to stay with trends and information regarding zoo animal collections. Serve as the Institutional Representative for various (Taxon Advisory Group) TAG and Species Survival Plan (SSP) correspondence.
8. Serves as the zoo’s Research Coordinator. Must review and approve or deny all research proposals that are to be conducted on any members of the zoo’s animal collection.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Bachelor’s Degree in zoology, biology, or related field. Background in business administration a plus. A minimum of five years of management experience in a zoo or aquarium is preferred.
2. Must have a very broad understanding of zoological park operations and an understanding of AZA procedures and policies
3. Proficient in Windows and related Microsoft software.
4. Ability to supervise and direct multi-levels of staff.
5. Ability to communicate orally and in writing in the English language.
6. Must obtain and maintain a valid Illinois Driver’s License.
Submit resumes to the Springfield Park District, 2500 S 11th Street, Springfield, IL 62703