Organization: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium
Location: Omaha, NE, Country
Job or Internship: Job
Aquarists are responsible for the day-to-day operations of various exhibits and behind the scenes operations. These duties include daily monitoring of water chemistry, animal health, animal needs and exhibit cleanliness.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Implements procedures and protocol for all areas of aquarium
operations including, but not limited to, animal husbandry, aquarium
maintenance, water quality analysis, life support systems, preventative
tank maintenance, quarantine
2. Animals: Implements procedures and protocol for quarantine
procedures, monitoring of animal health, diet and behavior. Follows
protocols for record- keeping. Follows direction on fish disease
3. Life Support Systems: Implements procedures and protocol for all
aspects of maintaining water filtration equipment. Tests and tracks water
quality to ensure all systems are maintained within established water
4. Help out with various extracurricular jobs such as: building maintenance, , work crews etc…
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Knowledge of closed filtration systems and tank cycling
• Knowledge of aquarium systems including life support systems for fish,
animal husbandry, maintenance needs, and quarantine protocols for a large
variety of marine species.
• Extensive knowledge of tropical fishes and invertebrates
• Extensive knowledge of Coral husbandry and reproduction
• Knowledge of water chemistry and biological processes
• SCUBA certification recommended
• Valid Driver’s License required and the ability to operate motorized vehicles
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
• Work to be performed under normal office conditions, in saltwater
aquarium, and within laboratory/fish quarantine setting.
• Must be able to lift 50lbs.
• Must be able to be on feet all day.
Please apply at www.omahazoo.com