Organization: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium
Location: Omaha, NE, Country
Job or Internship: Job
POSITION TITLE: Senior Aquarist
DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE TO: Supervisor of Area
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position is responsible for basic animal care, including general maintenance of exhibits, and observation of the animals in assigned area. Additional duties include guest interaction through Keeper Presentations and Behind the Scenes Tours. This position may also coordinate the duties of Aquarists in assigned area. This position is responsible for maintaining a safe work environment for self, fellow employees, guests and animal collection. At the discretion of the area supervisor, this position may assist in daily routine duties and be the point person in the absence of the area supervisor/lead aquarist. The staff at Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo strives to foster an environment of open communication and collaboration concerning, but not limited to the following discussion points: research, observations, behavior management, husbandry, diets, training, and the acquisition and disposition of species.
• Responsible for maintaining all duties assigned to Aquarist level positions.
• Plan and conduct animal procedures including translocations, immobilizations,
training and introductions as directed by the Supervisor or Curator.
• Knowledge of closed filtration systems and tank cycling
• Knowledge of aquarium systems including life support systems for fish,
animal husbandry, maintenance needs, and quarantine protocols for a large
variety of marine species.
• Extensive knowledge of tropical and cold water fishes and inverts
• Knowledge of water chemistry and biological processes
• SCUBA certification
• Perform daily and other scheduled general cleaning and maintenance of
exhibits and assigned areas.
• Develop protocols for exhibit maintenance both for animal and staff safety and
animal display that make areas run more smoothly and efficiently.
• Assist supervisor and curator in the development of new exhibits as well as in
monitoring the construction/remodeling of exhibits.
• Under the direction of the supervisor, plan, schedule and conduct division
projects, maintenance and periodic activities and organize fellow keepers to
complete such projects.
• Be aware of and follow formal protocols as documented
and contribute to the development and updating of these directives for the
respective area as directed.
Perform additional duties and/or assume other responsibilities as delegated by
Lead aquarist, supervisor or curator.
• Know basic biology, natural history, and husbandry of all specimens maintained
and unique husbandry requirements.
• Have a basic understanding of the zoo’s history and it’s forward progress so that
guests can be informed and excited about upcoming projects.
• Communicate biological conservation material to guests and participate in
delivery of education programs and tours.
• Demonstrate consistent professional guest interaction and education skills
including performing keeper presentations , and touring visiting professionals through
• Conduct Behind the Scenes Tours as needed or requested by the supervisor.
• Conduct research on new animal acquisitions, existing exhibits for improvement
ideas, and write protocols on husbandry including information on natural history
as well as specific animal history.
• Minimum of four years experience in AZA accredited institution or related
• Must consistently receive favorable annual evaluations regarding
all aspects of job performance.
• Possess effective verbal and written communication skills
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• High school diploma or equivalent. Associates Science degree in Zoo
Technology or a four-year degree in zoology or related field is desirable.
• Previous experience in an accredited AZA zoological park is required.
• Valid Driver’s license required and the ability to operate motorized vehicle.
• Must be able to lift 50 lbs. without difficulty.
• Must be able to work in adverse weather conditions including rain, heat, and
• Must be able to traverse zoo grounds on foot.
• Must be able to bend, lift, rake and sweep without difficulty.
• Must possess visual acuity appropriate for animal care and general safety
Please apply at www.omahazoo.com