Organization: TOPEKA ZOO
Location: Topeka, Kansas, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Topeka Zoo is seeking an animal keeper. The position is responsible for the daily care, feeding, observation and documentation of a variety of birds, reptiles, small mammals and invertebrates in the zoological park.
• Communicates with the public in a friendly, courteous and professional manner and assists guests with questions about the Zoo and animals.
• Establishes and maintains professional and effective working relationships with co-workers.
• Works alongside Veterinarian staff and provides assistance in administering veterinary care.
• Ensures the physical environment and habitat are maintained in a safe and functional manner.
• Cleans habitats, holding pens and other confinement areas to USDA and AZA standards and makes repairs as necessary.
• Provides daily animal enrichment and animal behavioral modification on a regular basis using Operant Conditioning.
• Works in a variety of weather conditions, including extreme heat and cold.
Work hours are dependent upon established Zoo operating hours, and includes weekend and holiday work.
Minimum qualifications: Associate degree in Zoo Keeping or an Associate degree in Biology, Zoology, or closely related field, Bachelor’s degree preferred (two years of zoological park animal keeping experience can be substituted for each one year of college in the life sciences) plus one (1) year of experience caring for animals in a zoological park setting.
Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and city insurable driving record.
Full position details and application instructions available at www.topeka.org/employment