Organization: Birmingham Zoo Inc.
Location: Birmingham, AL, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Children Zoo Keeper
Reports to: CZ Zoological Manager
Date posted: June 19, 2013
The Part-time Children Zoo keeper is responsible for the primary daily husbandry activities of the animal collection of the Children Zoo Barn and maintenance of the area. The keeper should have a current understanding of domesticated animals with a focus on livestock, animal care techniques, current working/training techniques, and passion for promoting heritage breeds. Collectively with other zoo employees, the activities of this position will assist in presenting to the public an environment that is educational and serves to further the conservation efforts of the Birmingham Zoo in a humane and respectful manner.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Clean and maintain animal exhibits, including the use of chemical agents and special tools to assure the health and safety of the animals
• Evaluate and prepare assigned animal diets and consult with the Zoological Manager based on the condition of the animal, weather and temperature influence, and any other special consideration relating to the species or individual animal
• Make observations regarding assigned animals including: general activity, interaction with other animals or people, fecal matter and behavior
• Assist the Zoo Veterinarian in the administering of prescribed medication.
• Communicate problems or concerns as it relates to the collection, staff or public to the Zoological Manager, Curator or member of Senior Staff
• Perform manual labor to include: cleaning exhibits and holdings of animal waste and other unwanted materials, moving feed bags and moving animals
• Interact with Zoo visitors concerning Zoo operations, education and conservation
• Prepare daily reports as required
• Other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge and Skills:
• Basic understanding of animal care, animal training, and environmental enrichment techniques
• Basic understanding of biology and natural history of domestic farm animals
• Good observation and record-keeping skills
• Willingness to be a team player
• Understanding and appreciation for BZI’s mission
• Valid Driver’s License
• The ability to learn basic computer skills including Microsoft Office, Word, and Excel
Preferred Education and Experience:
• Animal Science or Biology-related degree
• Professional animal care experience in zoological or related setting
• Experience working with farm animals; horses, cows, goats, sheep, fowl
The following physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee should expect:
• Use of hands, fingers, tools and/or controls
• Frequent requirements to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, bend, crawl, crouch, talk and hear
• Routine requirements to lift and/or move up objects weighing up to 50 pounds
• Frequent walking for long distances
• Exposure to wet surfaces
• Depending on assignment, exposure to the elements can be expected
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and functions of this position.
The CZ keeper position can be impacted by a wide variety of hazardous exposures including, but not limited to:
• The unpredictability of wild animals
• The proper use and understanding of cleaning agents
Applicants are instructed to electronically submit a letter of intent, resume and application* to:
Children Zoo Zoological Manager
Birmingham Zoo, Inc.
2630 Cahaba Road
Birmingham, AL 35223
*The application may be faxed to 205.879.9426 or scanned and submitted electronically.