Organization: Sea Research Foundation/Mystic Aquarium
Location: Mystic, CT, United States
Job or Internship: Job
JOB SUMMARY: Demonstrate excellent representation of the aquarium at all times through a positive, can-do attitude and teamwork focused work ethic Continues an appointed research project by performing laboratory research and associated analyses involving, but not limited to, molecular tissue culture and immunology functions. Perform research techniques in the laboratory including, but not limited to, cloning, sequencing, PCR, protein purification, DNA/RNA isolation, library screening, ELISA, flow cytometry, mammalian tissue culture, antibody production, immunoblotting, immunofluorescence, microscopy, immune function assays. Relays findings in the form of scientific reports and presentations.
Minimum Job Requirements: Must be willing to consistently provide guest service above and beyond expectation. A Bachelor’s degree is required (Bachelor of Science preferred). A Masters Degree in the biological sciences and/or the equivalent experience is desired. Must have knowledge and experience in immunology fields and at least 2 years experience within a laboratory. Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point. Working knowledge of statistical, graphics and database programs desired. Must be able to work independently as well as part of a team, have a willingness to learn, and possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
Responsibilities & Essential Functions: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. If requested, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Collection and analysis of biological samples including maintaining inventories and records in a BSL-2 lab.
• Perform immunological and molecular methods and laboratory procedures as outlined in SOPs.
• Maintain detailed records and laboratory records.
• Assist in the maintenance of laboratory equipment.
• Assist in the preparation of reports, presentations, and publications.
• All employees are responsible for working in a safe manner at all times.
• Every employee must properly use, and keep in good order, all personal protective equipment (PPE) supplied to them as protection from recognized hazards.
• Every employee must report any unsafe condition.
• Every employee must have a working knowledge of all Facility wide, and Department specific, safety procedures that relate to their position, including, but not limited to: Emergency Evacuation, Lockdown Procedure, and Fire Extinguisher Use.
• Perform all other duties as assigned by supervisor.