Organization: Chimp Haven, Inc.
Location: Keithville, LA, us
Job or Internship: Job
Open: 6/17/13 Closed: When positions filled.
Shift: Day Shift Weekdays – Full time, Chimpanzee Discovery Days, One weekend per month. Weekend, holiday, and night work may be required.
Risk Level: 3
Provide enrichment and training to chimpanzees. Most duties performed under general supervision.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist in planning enrichment and training schedules.
• Prepare enrichment items for chimpanzees.
• Distribute enrichment to chimpanzees according to approved schedule.
• Distribute enrichment for staff to provide to chimpanzees.
• Carry out chimpanzee training objectives using positive reinforcement according to approved plans.
• Assist other animal care staff in maintaining food preparation areas.
• Order supplies.
• Maintain and oversee enrichment records.
• Assist with educational programs.
• Conduct behavioral observations according to approved schedule.
• Work with other animal care staff to transfer trained behaviors.
• May concentrate on enrichment, training or behavioral observation responsibilities. May assist husbandry, veterinary or other departmental staff as directed.
• Perform related duties as required.
Supervision and Responsibility
• Works under general supervision of behaviorist.
• Does not supervise anyone.
• Performs tasks as assigned.
• Relies on pre-established guidelines.
• Primary job does not typically require exercising independent judgment.
Education and Experience Required
• Associates degree in related field required.
• Four years experience working with nonhuman primates or exotics required.
• Two years experience providing enrichment and/or training required.
• A bachelor’s degree in a related field and two years experience providing nonhuman primates with enrichment and/or training can be substituted for the education and experience requirement.
• Ability to work in a team environment, read and follow written and verbal instructions and write legibly and accurately.
• Duties may require driving Chimp Haven vehicles, and must have a valid driver’s license and meet Chimp Haven’s motor vehicle operating standards.
• Duties will include use of power tools.
Other requirements and working conditions
• This work will require bending, carrying, kneeling, lifting, listening, pulling, pushing, reading, speaking, squatting, standing, stooping, stretching, walking, watching and writing.
• Must be able to routinely lift and carry 50 lbs for short distances.
• Work may involve considerable outdoor work in various weather conditions.
• Potential exists for animal bites and scratches.
• Potential exposure to unpleasant odors, animal wastes, animal tissues and body fluids, toxic chemicals, zoonotic diseases (tuberculosis, shigella etc.), infectious agents (Hepatitis B,C, HIV, etc.).
• Weekend, holiday and night work may be necessary.
• Participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program that includes hepatitis B and other inoculations is required.
• Safety training, equipment, clothing and supplies will be provided.
Passion for wildlife and conservation preferred. Send cover letter, salary requirement and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax resume to Human Resources Department @ 318-925-5600.