Organization: Association of Zoos & Aquariums
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland, United States
Job or Internship: Job
GENERAL STATEMENT OF JOB
Under general supervision the Manager, Business Development & Marketing is an exempt position reporting to the Vice President, Conferences & Membership. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, strategic development and administration of conference exhibit, sponsorship and advertising sales and marketing.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Analyze, develop, and implement growth strategies of the Commercial member category (those corporate members that provide product and services to the zoo and aquarium community).
• Manage outside, corporate customer relationships and serve as the primary liaison to the Commercial member category, focusing on enhancement of benefits and services.
• Identify and develop new business strategies for AZA advertising, exhibits and sponsorships and convert prospects into clients.
• Deliver superior customer service while maintaining and growing member and customer services.
• Leverage cross-promotion opportunities with commercial memberships, conference sponsorships, exhibit sales and advertising.
• Design and manage sales strategies for Association advertising in print and digital versions of the CONNECT magazine, member e-newsletters, website, conference guides and buyer’s guide (in private online community).
• Oversee all ad contracts, placements and that all artwork is properly delivered.
• Ensure that all marketing and promotional efforts are evaluated, measured and tracked; report demonstrable results to AZA management.
• Research and analyze advertising and sales needs. Prepare surveys to track success with exhibitors, sponsors, advertisers and Commercial members.
• Facilitate effective communication among staff, event hosts, committee members, etc.
• Coordinate with AZA’s Meeting Planner all exhibitor and sponsor service needs at events.
• Invoice all advertising and sales efforts. Work with Accounting and Membership departments to collect payments.
• Supervise Marketing Assistant.
Performs other related duties as assigned:
• Serve as a staff liaison to the Business Operations Committee.
• Prepares marketing budgets and provides input on revenue goals for publications, events and membership.
• Liaise with AZA Conferences staff to fulfill logistics and assist in exhibit hall management.
• Liaise with Conference host and show decorator regarding Annual Conference exhibits registration, booth sales, and sponsorship collaboration.
• Administers sales and advertising tracking software in Avectra’s netFORUM.
• Liaise with Publications Manager and Digital Marketing Manager in fulfillment of advertising.
• File, organize, pack boxes, and assist staff with appropriate membership and conference related tasks.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
• Proven sales, marketing and branding strategies in print and digital with varying audiences; experience in Association or Non-profit environment a must. Past tradeshow/exhibits management preferred.
• Ability to prepare budgets and reports, based on data-driven analysis.
• Energetic, creative, positive, self-motivated with effective customer service and verbal/written communication skills.
• Ability to write/evaluate promotional copy and design.
• Creative problem solver with superior organizational and process management skills, strong attention to detail, and ability to handle multiple projects under deadline in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to work independently while also being a team player; excellent interpersonal skills.
• Skill in interpreting AZA policies pertaining to membership.
• Skill in planning, organizing, coordinating and implementing work.
• Skill in project management, and producing and disseminating materials.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or related field.
Proven sales ability preferably with Association membership, exhibits, sponsorship and advertising.
Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in business development and/or marketing.
Proficiency with Windows-based software (Outlook, Powerpoint, Excel and Word). Experience using Association sales/membership database, preferably Avectra’s NetFORUM.
Knowledge of working in CMS (Ektron), surveying tools, and Adobe Suite.
Willingness to travel.
Interested candidate should apply by sending a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.