Organization: Zoo New England
Location: Boston, MA, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Essential Job Functions:
Supervises Seasonal employees, Volunteers, Community Service workers, Apprentice Horticulturists, on an as assigned basis.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Participates in the installation and maintenance of the landscapes at both the Franklin Park and Stone Zoos.
• Participates in all aspects of landscape construction and exhibit construction as pertains to the landscape.
• Plants trees, shrubs, plants, flowers, bulbs, seed and sod, as directed.
• Prepares planting areas, installs walls, fences, pathways, irrigation systems and water features, as directed.
• Waters trees, shrubs, plants and flowers utilizing irrigation systems, sprinklers, hoses, or by hand.
• Performs all aspects of plant maintenance including: weeding, dead-heading, pruning, fertilizing, transplanting, dividing, propagation, mulching and winterizing.
• Performs all aspects of grounds maintenance including: raking, sweeping, blowing, trash collection, snow removal, sanding and salting, mowing, edging and grading.
• Operates machinery including: mowers, hedgers, weed-whackers, chainsaws, snow throwers, roto-tillers, skid-steer loaders, backhoe-loaders, tractors and sod cutters.
• Assists in the collection and transport of purchased or donated trees, plants and flowers.
• Assists in the supervision of Community Service groups, Seasonal employees, Volunteers and Interns.
• Monitors Zoo grounds to make sure they are safe, clean, attractive and comfortable for Zoo guests and staff.
• Purchases parts and materials, as directed.
• Interacts with and answers questions of Zoo guests by providing information about the Zoo and acts as a Good- Will Ambassador for the Zoo.
• Operates two-way radio responsibly and professionally.
• Attends training and education programs and seminars.
• Works outside in all weather.
• Performs related or non-related work as assigned to assure the proper operation of the Zoo.
Minimum Job Requirements:
• Ability to provide quality customer service to both internal and external customers.
• Some basic knowledge of landscaping and horticultural principles and practices.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to work under conditions including adverse weather and heights.
• Ability to operate machinery.
• Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds.
• Must have a negative result on a TB test.
• Must have the ability and willingness to work independently and as a team member.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record.
• Must be able and willing to work weekends, holidays and overtime, as needed.
• Must have a good work history.
• Ability to perform heavy manual labor.
Location: Franklin Park Zoo – Boston and Stone Zoo-Stoneham
Salary: $10 an hour
Please submit your application:
- via email, as MS Word attachment, to email@example.com, yet please ensure to state the title of the position in the subject line.
- Or fax your application to: 617-445-1671
- By mail to Office of Human Resources, Zoo New England, One Franklin Park Rd, Boston, MA. 02121
No Phone Calls Please. Zoo New England is an equal opportunity employer by choice.