Organization: Museum of Science
Location: Boston, MA, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Museum of Science, Boston
Innovation and creativity come from the unique perspectives of a diverse staff. We value your perspective.
Responsible for developing all 3-D design solutions from concept stage to implementation for large and small permanent, temporary, and traveling exhibits as assigned, including layout, environment, space structures, and cabinetry. Integrates 2-D graphic elements into concept and structures. Collaborates with team members, managers, other Museums, and members of the community to develop and produce exhibits according to the goals of the project, meeting the needs of our broad visitor audience, on time and within budget. The desired end result is the creation of engaging, attractive, accurate, accessible and relevant exhibits that effectively communicate their intended messages to a wide audience and that reflect the advice and counsel of visitors, Museum staff, and outside experts.
• Provides design services for 1 or 2 major permanent or temporary projects annually with various budgets and size ranging from 1,500 to 20,000 square feet.
• Provides design services for 5 to 10 minor exhibit projects with various budgets and sizes up to 1,500 square feet.
• May produce layouts for space usage for a dozen or more miscellaneous projects over the year.
This position is full-time, 40 hours/week, Monday-Friday.
Manager, Exhibit Design
• Bachelor's degree in Industrial Design, Architecture or other related field preferred.
• More than five years of exhibit design experience.
• Advanced knowledge of supplies and materials for exhibit fabrication (lighting, structural elements, surface finishes, architectural elements, and hardware) and experience in designing interactive, maintainable, and accessible spaces and structures.
• Highly skilled in CAD (Vectorwork preferred), manual drafting, hands-on construction of models, basic exhibit fabrication techniques, artifact mounting, and understanding of museum conservation needs.
• Experience in a design/project team environment and demonstrated experience in an understanding of museum visitor experiences.
• Additional experience in theatrical and interactive display design, as well as engineering, and building construction preferred.
Exempt (Salaried). Commensurate with experience.
Benefits for full-time, exempt (salaried) staff include: free parking, T accessibility, 23 vacation days, 12 holidays, 5-10 sick days, medical, dental, and vision insurance, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, retirement and savings plan, health care/dependent care flex spending plan, employee discounts, employee referral program, tuition assistance, professional development, direct deposit, free admission, free Duck Tours, discounted movie passes, and much more!
TO APPLY FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY IN OUR DIVERSE AND DYNAMIC WORK ENVIRONMENT, SUBMIT YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO:
Human Resources Department
Museum of Science
Boston, MA 02114
Fax: (617) 589-0362
Visit www.mos.org/jobs for our most up-to-date employment listings. No phone inquiries, please. Qualified applicants will be contacted within two to four weeks of initial application. The Museum of Science is an Equal Opportunity Employer.