Organization: Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium
Location: Summerland Key, FL, Country
Job or Internship: Job
Mote Marine Laboratory is currently seeking a male Summer Camp Assistant to work with Mote staff and interns in the Florida Keys supervising male campers. The ability to work with the team is absolutely essential. It is important that the Assistant be good with time management and with anticipating activities that need to be initiated. Because the activities include elements of camp fun as well as education, the Assistant should understand that he/she is in the hospitality business as well as in the role of an instructor.
Description of General duties and responsibilities:
• Provide supervision of campers throughout residential camp sessions.
• Maintaining safe conditions for campers.
• Checking and preparing equipment for campers (includes snorkel gear, safety equipment, lab supplies, etc.) before each group of campers. Cleaning gear, storing after use. Assisting with cleanup after campers leave.
• Providing tour of property when campers arrive. Outlining safety, privacy and security matters to campers.
• Providing snorkel workshop and training for campers. Overseeing swim check.
• Assisting with meal preparation, food shopping, and all reservations as necessary.
• Providing two evenings per week of educational/interesting programming. Each will be approximately one hour long. May use laboratory equipment, PowerPoint presentation equipment as necessary. Topics may vary with camper age group. Active/interactive presentations are preferred.
• Accompanying campers on snorkel trips and other field trips. Interacting with them in the water.
• Lifeguarding from shore stations and aboard snorkel boat.
• American Red Cross Lifeguarding certificate or equivalent
• CPR, First Aid certificate
• Strong teaching skills
• Good swimming skills
• Valid Class D driver’s license
• U.S. citizenship or foreign citizen’s U.S. work permit appropriate for the work
• Undergraduate or advanced degree in science, education or related field or equivalent work experience
• Divemaster certification
This position will begin on or about June 3, 2013 and end August 5, 2013.
Stamina for working occasional long hours at outdoor locations in hot weather, high humidity, intense sunlight, and wet weather
Ability to safely lift 40 lbs.
Ability to lift 25 lbs overhead.
Interested applicants should submit as a single electronic file, 1) a cover letter, 2) resume or CV, and 3) the names and contact information for three references, before 5pm June 14, 2013 to HumanResources@mote.org. Alternatively, a single package of all requested elements may be submitted to Mote Marine Laboratory, Attn: Human Resources, 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota, FL 34236.
Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.