Organization: Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
Location: Colorado Springs, CO, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is seeking a registered veterinary technician for our hospital manager position. The candidate should have at least 2 years of veterinary technician experience, strong communication skills, and excellent organizational skills. Responsibilities include running the preventative medicine program, maintaining hospital equipment and supplies, medical data entry, supervising the vet tech/ vet tech student volunteer /externship programs, providing nursing and neonatal care, and assisting vets with patient exams and anesthesia procedures. As the zoo has a strong operant conditioning program, there also may be opportunities for the technician to work with several species for voluntary blood-draw training.
The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is located about 1 hr south of Denver along the Rocky Mountains. The collection is about 1500 animals, including 21 giraffe, 4 elephants, primates, large carnivores, and some reptiles/birds/amphibians. The vet hospital has 2 full time and 1 part time veterinarians and 2 full-time veterinary technicians (including the hospital manager position). We regularly collaborate with outside specialists including the vet school and local MD's. Additionally, we host 4th year vet student externships and some vet technician student externs.
1. Licensed veterinary technician with at least 2 years of clinical experience; exotic or zoo experience preferred
2. Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, holidays, and evenings (in event of emergencies)
3. Strong organizational & computer skills
4. Management experience preferred
5. Strong team player
6. Good physical condition; able to lift at least 50#
7. Valid drivers license and clean criminal background check
8. Perform other related duties as needed
Salary based on experience. Includes 2 weeks vacation, holidays, sick time, and benefits package.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and phone #'s of 3 professional references to Dr Liza Dadone @ firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
June 14, 2013