Organization: The Calgary Zoological Society
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Job or Internship: Job
The Calgary Zoo is a conservation leader whose mission is to take and inspire action to sustain wildlife and wild places. As a not-for-profit charitable institution, all revenue is reinvested back into conservation activities at the zoo and around the world.
As an organization, we value effective and collaborative communication and honesty and integrity with an emphasis on customer focus, safety and conservation. If you would like to be part of this team, we have the following permanent position available in our Animal Care Department
SENIOR MANAGER OPERATIONS-ANIMAL CARE
Accountable to the Director; Animal Care, Conservation & Research, this position is responsible for managing resources and maintaining compliance with regulations that mirror the mission and vision of the Calgary Zoo. The position oversees the administration and operations component of animal care including inter-departmental interactions and animal programs. Additionally, the position is responsible for managing pest control, commissary, animal transfers, protocols and budgets within the department.
• Works closely with Director, Animal Care, Conservation & Research, Senior Curator, and Curators.
• Supervises, coaches and trains management, administrative and Commissary staff.
• Assists in coordinating Commissary deliveries and manages the supplies and animal food budgets.
• Schedules staff.
• Manages the Pest Control program including documentation and staff training.
• Participates in future plans for the Zoo when needed including exhibit renovation, design, restructuring and construction.
• Assists with development of a collection plan.
• With guidance from the Senior Curator and Curators, oversees animal transfers and procedures, including research and development of proposals, obtaining appropriate licenses & permits, transportation logistics, breeding loan & donation agreements and invoice management.
• With assistance of Curators, reviews and updates animal management/husbandry protocols ensuring established husbandry standards are met.
• Assists in maintaining and/or creating staff records and training.
• Liaises with Facilities department to organize maintenance of Animal Care equipment and buildings.
• Coordinates various programs within the Animal Care Department. May include Behind-the-Scenes, Emergency Response Team, and/or other programs as determined by the Director and Sr. Manager.
• Actively collaborates with other departments to ensure that husbandry and behavioral management practices are upheld and support the guest experience.
• Communicates effectively throughout the department and other areas of the Zoo regarding Zoo-wide information.
• Manages locks and keys including preventative maintenance, inventory and distribution.
• Complies with collective agreement, Zoo policy or relevant legislation in the management of staff.
• Ensures compliance with health, safety and environmental legislation and regulation as well
as Calgary Zoo policies and procedures.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience.
• 15+ years of experience in animal care operations.
• 8+ years in an animal care management role preferably in a unionized environment.
• Working knowledge of animal husbandry.
• Excellent communication and leadership skills in a team environment.
• Ability to interact effectively with employees at all levels of the organization, specifically within the Animal Care department.
• Exceptional problem solving, analytical skills, accuracy and attention to detail.
• Expertise in leading and implementing business change.
• Self-starter, skilled at proactively identifying areas for improvement.
• Working knowledge of business management principles and practices.
• Excellent computer skills, specifically Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
• Experience working in an animal care environment.
• Class 5 Drivers License.
• Involves outdoor work and heavy lifting.
• Must be able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull, bend, climb. stairs and ladders, and carry up to 50lbs.
• Exposure to fauna and pungent odours.
• Must be able to work in inclement weather.
• Working on weekends and statutory holidays will be required.
What the zoo has to offer:
• Competitive compensation package.
• Annual performance bonus.
• Flexible benefits plan, including a health spending account.
• Employer matching RRSP program.
• Discounts on food, beverage and merchandise.
• A complimentary annual pass for you and your immediate family members.
• A fun work environment and the opportunity to work in a park full of wild animals!
If you are a highly motivated and experienced individual we invite you to send your resume, along with a covering letter, in confidence, no later than May 30, 2013. Please quote the position title in the subject line.
1300 Zoo Rd NE
NO PHONE ENQUIRIES PLEASE. Applicants are thanked in advance and advised that only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.