Organization: Tulsa Zoo
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma, Country
Job or Internship: Internship
Tulsa Zoo Veterinary Technician Internship Program
The Tulsa Zoo and Living Museum is seeking qualified applicants for a veterinary technician internship program. The purpose of this program will be to provide advanced training for post-graduate veterinary technicians interested in pursuing a career in the zoological field.
This internship is a full-time, 6 month position under the direction of 2 full-time veterinarians (one board certified under the American College of Zoological Medicine) and a full-time registered veterinary technician. Interns will be scheduled to work 5 days per week (days to be determined) but will be required to work extra hours, weekends and holidays if needed. An additional 6 months is possible upon successful completion of the initial 6 months for a total of one year.
The intern will be expected to participate in all aspects of the veterinary department including but not limited to:
- Procedures - Including set up and take down, immobilizations, exams, anesthetic monitoring, and surgical assistance
- Diagnostics – Including in house blood work, outside lab submission preparation, fecal examinations, radiology, cytology, urinalysis, post mortem exams & marine water testing
- Patient care – Including treatments, enclosure set-up & break down, cleaning, diet preparation, and monitoring
- Hospital maintenance – Including general cleaning, equipment servicing and maintenance, stocking, and inventory
- Records – Including entering medical records, filing, organizing and other data entry
Applicants must have graduated from a veterinary technician program by the time of employment and be able to become registered in the state of Oklahoma within 2 months of the start of the program. This job may require walking distances, exposure to extreme temperatures, bending, standing for long periods of time, quick responses, and the ability to lift at least 50 pounds. Preference will be given to those with post-graduate experience in a practice setting but is not a requirement. Applicant must be comfortable with basic computer programs, possess a valid driver’s license and pass pre-employment screening. Must be able to be insured by our carrier in order to operate motor vehicles. Housing and transportation are the intern’s responsibility. Total compensation package is $12,500 per 6 months ($25,000 annually).
Interested applicants should send a resume, letter of intent and 3 letters of reference to Dr Jen Kilburn, Associate Veterinarian, by email at email@example.com. Estimated start of internship will be July 1, 2013. Application deadline June 1st, 2013 or until position is filled.