Organization: California Science Center
Location: Los Angeles, California, Country
Job or Internship: Job
Under the direction of the Life Support Systems Supervisor, the Life Support Operator is responsible for all daily operation and maintenance of life support components and systems. Life Support Systems staff and equipment support all Living Collections areas.
Major Job Responsibilities:
• Perform inspections, preventative maintenance, routine upkeep, cleaning, and repair of all life support equipment.
• Contribute to the design of life support systems for temporary tanks, modifications of existing systems or future additions as necessary.• Understand water chemistry reports and their relationship to LSS systems.
• Maintain precise and accurate LSS logs and records.
• Understand and follow all safety policies and procedures.
• Required to carry radio/cell phone and respond as necessary while on duty.
• Work closely with a diverse staff of employees and volunteers.
• Perform other duties as required.
• BS/BA degree in related field with 1+ years experience or 3+ years combination of experience and training in similar role, preferably at an AZA-accredited aquarium or comparable institution.
• Experience operating, maintaining, designing, and building life support systems for marine and freshwater systems.
• Experience and knowledge of pumps, filters, fractionators, UV sterilizers, heat exchangers, ozone systems and automated control equipment.
• Strong demonstrated knowledge of water chemistry and monitoring in an aquarium environment.
• Must be able to work in an industrial work environment including confined spaces and areas with low headroom and difficult access as well as with hazardous chemicals.
• Knowledge of and ability to adhere/enforce OSHA and Cal OSHA standards and proper use of personal protective equipment in an aquarium environment.
• Must be able to work nights, weekends, holidays, and have a flexible schedule.
• Ability to lift, pull, shift, push 50 pounds and work outside in varying weather conditions.
• Ability to work productively and accurately in independent or team settings with strong communication and computer skills.
• Attention to detail and great overall workplace cleanliness is mandatory.
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience
Send Cover Letter, Resume and Salary History (A Must) to the HR Dept. via fax at 213-744-2673, email to HR@cscmail.org, or mail to the California Science Center Foundation, H. R. Dept, 700 Exposition Park Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90037. No phone calls please. EOE.