Organization: Woodland Park Zoo
Location: Seattle, WA, United States
Job or Internship: Job
DEPARTMENT: Grounds and Event Support
REPORTS TO: Supervisor, Grounds & Maintenance
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
PAY RATE: $18.73 per hour
Accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, award-winning Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle is famed for pioneering naturalistic exhibits and setting a standard for zoos all over the world. The zoo is helping to save endangered species in Washington State and around the world. By inspiring visitors and others to learn, care and act, Woodland Park Zoo is making a difference in our planet’s future.
This is your opportunity to join the dynamic Zoo Operations team at Woodland Park Zoo. Applications are now being accepted for Laborer in the Grounds department. There is one full-time, regular, benefited position to be filled at this time. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Performs routine manual work in a variety of indoor and outdoor work areas.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in set-ups, room arrangements, and office relocations such as in the set up and removal of chairs, risers, portable turnstiles, and flooring.
- Operate hand held scrubbers and polishers; sweep floors and wash windows.
- Pick up trash, sweep floors, dust, wash, disinfect, vacuum, and perform other tasks to keep areas clean.
- Perform routine custodial work on a comfort station route without a lead worker.
- Perform indoor and/or outdoor litter control and cleaning tasks.
- Provide manual assistance to other workers and use various types of hand and small power tools such as hammer, saws, axes, drills, seedeaters, backpack blowers, shovels and scythes.
- Perform minor adjustments and repairs to various types of hand and small power equipment.
- Set out flares, traffic control devices and provides work site protection, as directed.
- Manually dig trenches, fence post holes, and other holes using hand tools; clean ditches, sewers and storm drains.
- Load and unload materials, equipment, and supplies.
- Drive pickup trucks, sedans, and other small motorized vehicles in connection with manual work activities.
- Perform minor repairs or adjustments, lubrication and safety checks on trucks and trailers.
- Assist in the installation, repair, and maintenance of chain link fences, backstops, benches, signs and bleachers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision as well as to work and collaborate as a team member.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes weekends, and may include evenings and holidays.
- Commitment to the mission of the zoo and the institutions’ Core Values.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Must have basic computer skills to access email and submit online timesheet.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES
Valid Washington State Driver License required.
The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; talk or hear and taste or smell.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; work in high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment varies.
Applications are only accepted online through our Jobs page at www.zoo.org; no other forms of application will be accepted. Cover letter and resume are REQUIRED when applying for this position. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 13, 2013
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or gender identity/expression.
Apply online at: