Location: San Mateo, California, United States
Job or Internship: Job
(Full Time/Temporary Position/With Benefits)
(1) ONE –YEAR Keeper Apprenticeship: Approximately August 30th, 2013 through August 26th, 2014. CuriOdyssey is looking for an apprentice who can maintain a high level of personal motivation and a positive attitude by demonstrating their enthusiasm and high energy for each project they take on. This program offers practical, on-the-job experience working with invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals, and provides exposure to zoo careers. If chosen, you will be expected to work weekends and all holidays. This apprenticeship pays $10.50/hour.
1. High school diploma or GED
2. Must be at least 18 years old
3. Good physical condition; able to lift and carry a minimum of 50 lbs.
4. Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
5. Willingness to work outside normal business hours including weekends and holidays.
6. Willingness to work in small spaces and in all weather conditions
7. Willingness to obtain rabies vaccination
8. Good written and verbal communication skills
Experience and Qualities Preferred:
1. Outgoing, personable and able to relate and work with the public
2. Reliable, flexible and energetic
3. Interest in wildlife and the environment
4. Experience in working with wild animals
5. Minimum 400 hours of captive wild animal experience is preferred (approximately two, 3 month internships)
1. Daily animal husbandry, servicing animal habitats/exhibits and holding areas.
2. Preparing diets and feeding the animal collection
3. Record keeping
4. Behavioral enrichment and training
5. Public presentation and interpretation
6. Willingness to assist in veterinary procedures and serve as a back up to Keeper Staff during venomous animal procedures.
Interested applicants should send a resume with cover letter and references to Nikii Finch-Morales, Director of Wildlife, CuriOdyssey, 1651 Coyote Point Drive San Mateo CA 94401. Or e-mail to www.NikiiFM@CuriOdyssey.org
Application deadline: Friday May 17, 2013, midnight.