Organization: Georgia Aquarium Inc.
Location: Atlanta, GA, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Zoological Operations Department at Georgia Aquarium is seeking a highly motivated, charismatic, innovative, team oriented person to be part of the Mammal and Birds Team in the position of Animal Care & Training Specialist II. This position works within the team responsible for the daily care and training of the Aquarium’s collection of beluga whales, harbor seals, sea otters, Asian otters, and African penguins. This position will provide support to other areas of the Zoological Operations Department as needed.
Qualified candidates will possess the following:
• Minimum four year degree in biology or related field, or equivalent experience.
• Minimum of two years of full-time work experience, preferably in an AZA and/or AMMPA accredited institution, or equivalent, training and caring for marine mammals.
• Knowledge of contemporary marine animal training and environmental enrichment techniques.
• Strong customer service and public speaking skills.
• Basic knowledge of life support operation and water quality control for maintaining marine mammals and aquatic birds in closed systems.
• Strong professionalism and team skills.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• SCUBA Certification and the ability to pass a dive physical examination and swim test.
• Ability to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and holidays.
• Proficiency with computers and current software applications.
• Ability to carry 50lbs.
• Valid Driver’s License and ability to obtain a Georgia State drivers license.
• Posses a valid passport or the ability to obtain one.
• Exposure to marine mammal and/or penguin programs strongly preferred.
Duties include animal training, public programs, diet preparation and feeding, environmental enrichment, behavior observation, exhibit maintenance, data base records entry, animal handling for medical care, and quality guest experience / visitor interactions.
Applications are accepted on-line at www.georggiaaquarium.org. The Georgia Aquarium is an EOE and supports a Drug Free Workplace!