Organization: Detroit Zoological Society
Location: Royal Oak, MI, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
The Detroit Zoological Society is a non-profit, membership organization supporting the Detroit Zoo and Belle Isle Nature Zoo. The Environmental Services department provides knowledge and support to other Society departments, including: Park Operations, Education, Marketing, Public Relations and other related divisions. The department is responsible for the overall environmental strategy for the Detroit Zoological Society.
This internship will focus on hands-on experience and involve all facets of the department. The intern will be responsible for projects and be assigned specific areas of responsibility during the internship based on personal interest, department needs and experience.
The proposed start date would be early June 2013 ending in August 2013. This is an unpaid internship, students must be able to obtain college credit. This is a part time internship, 20-24 hours per week, from 9am-5pm.
Duties: • Assist the Manager of Environmental Services with current green initiatives, such as the Zero Waste by 2020 goal, LEED for Existing Buildings project and Green Literacy in Southeast Michigan initiative and anaerobic digester feasibility study
• Monitor and track key performance indicators and develop metrics for environmental initiatives and programs
• Develop green interpretive signs to educate guests about the green initiatives
• Assist department by researching potential green initiatives and report writing
• Conduct research on the green programs at other zoos and other topics as needed
• Will work with the Chief Operating Officer, Chief Life Sciences Officer, Director of Park Operations, Facilities Superintendent and the Green Team as needed
• Additional projects and duties to be assigned
• Undergraduate students at a junior or senior level at an accredited college or university
• Environmental sciences, natural resources, biology or other related majors
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel. Internet proficiency required
• Excellent organization and communication skills
• Ability to meet deadlines and work in a timely manner
• Creative, enthusiastic, and detail-oriented
• Interest in non-profit experience is desired
• Experience working with an environmental organization, academic department or company
To view complete job descriptions and to apply online, please visit www.detroitzoo.org. The direct link to the jobs page is: http://detroitzoo.iapplicants.com/searchjobs.php.