Organization: Wildlife Conservation Society at the Bronx Zoo
Location: New York, New York, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Assistant Supervisor, Mammals
Bronx Zoo / Wildlife Conservation Society
The Wildlife Conservation Society is dedicated to the conservation of the world’s vanishing species through captive breeding and exhibition, field studies, education and veterinary, nutrition, behavior and genetic research. The Bronx Zoo, headquarters of the Wildlife Conservation Society, manages and exhibits a diversity of wildlife, including many rare and endangered species. It initiates and supports captive breeding programs, and encourages research and educational projects. The Mammal Department, with a collection of over 130 species, is committed to the exhibition and captive breeding of species that are part of cooperative breeding programs or serve as educational representatives of their habitats or regions.
1. Assist in the overall operation of all mammal-related installations, including the supervision of the activities of the keeper staff, interns and volunteers.
2. Assist in ascertaining, initiating, administering and reviewing protocols for animal care, keeper safety and the maintenance of equipment.
3. Assist in supervising care and maintenance of the animal collection.
4. Assist in maintenance of records (including preparing and submitting reports and animal censuses).
5. Assist in ascertaining the needs of the animal collection and initiating food orders and work orders for repairs or renovations as required.
6. Assist in capturing, handling, transporting and/or preparing of animals for shipment.
7. Assist in supervising the maintenance and construction of exhibits or support services.
8. May do research or assist in research projects, publish scientific papers and popular articles, attend professional meetings, study specimens in the field, and give tours and lectures. May also teach courses, train personnel and consult for various governmental agencies and other institutions as required.
9. Enforce WCS's visitors' rules and regulations and those of the Department of Mammalogy.
10. Perform related tasks and duties as required.
Experience with a diverse mammal collection
- Strong animal handling skills
- Experience managing a large staff
- Strong people skills
- At least five years of relevant experience in a zoo environment
Degree from an accredited college/university in an applicable field of study.
Benefit package will be commensurate with experience. Please visit http://www.wcs.org/about-us/careers/nyc-full-time.aspx for a complete job description and instructions on how to apply online